Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition July 2016 - Summer

Blue skies, Bombay Sapphire and for fans of "Breaking Bad" a reminder of Walter White's infamous product... These are made from recycled glass from Bombay Sapphire gin bottles, broken up into chips and fused, 2 or 3 together, in a kiln to make these crystalline chunks, then drilled and mounted to make simple earrings. They look lovely in the sunshine! (The wire is argentium, great for making balled headpins and good for ear wires because it's better than sterling for sensitive skin, less likely to cause allergy/irritation.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbbs1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	9138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbbs2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	9139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbbs3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	9140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbbs4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	9141 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbbs5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	9142

Alan

Beautiful colour Alan and I guess emptying the bottle was fun too. Dennis.

To be honest, Dennis, if I'm going to buy gin I go for Aldi's cheapo "Cromwell" brand - it beat Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks, Harrods and others in a blind tasting by gin experts last year and is a fraction of the price. Fortunately I have friends and relatives with more money than sense who empty lots of the blue bottles for me and I have a large stash waiting to be smashed up and melted for various things - they make lovely little bowls, for example.
    Alan

The glass in those earrings is a glorious colour Alan. Very pretty and fresh.

I was told that Bombay Sapphire bottles were often just plain glass colour-coated and the coating burned off during firing - obviously not the case!

Susie

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    I was told that Bombay Sapphire bottles were often just plain glass colour-coated and the coating burned off during firing - obviously not the case!
    That's right, Susie, that's the true colour of the glass. You have to make sure it's really clean to begin with and avoid firing too long or too hot, otherwise it has a tendency to devitrify - the surface turning rough/matt/cloudy as the glass breaks down chemically. One nice feature of the bottles is that down the sides there are little pictures and descriptions of the "botanicals" (herbs and spices) used to flavour the gin which appear to have been applied with white enamel. They remain on the glass pretty much unaltered by firing - I've avoided those bits for these earrings as I wanted just the blue glass, but they can add a quirky element to some fused pieces.
    Alan

Hello,

We are now over halfway through this month's competition - and with the sun making an appearance over the weekend, there's no better time to get making and entering your Summer themed designs!

Best of luck everyone

Jen

what lovely entries so far this month. Susieq I love your garden on a finger, such a modern and quirky design. Shinylauren I adore those little earrings, so covetable! Just gorgeous. Alan What a great idea to use the beautiful coloured glass like that, they've captured the feel of some exotic sea somewhere. They're all lovely.
    Sue

Hi all,

This is your last week to enter our Summer themed competition - make sure you submit your design before it's too late!

We look forward to seeing what you have in store

Jen

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone who entered this month's Summer competition!

I am happy to announce the winner of our themed competition is susieq with the following entry:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	9170

We loved the quirkiness of this design and thought the different coloured CZ stones used were ideal for the Summer theme. Well done!

Please email competitions@cooksongold.com with your contact details and Cooksongold account number so we can arrange for your prize to be sorted.

Congratulations again!

Jen

Congratulations Susie, well done. Dennis