Thread: Oxidising/Plating

Default Oxidising/Plating

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can advise me regarding plating and/or oxidising reticulated sterling silver pieces. I am wanting a blackened silver look, however oxidising with liver of sulfer isn't really producing the desired effect or finish...and it's not permanent enough. Does anyone know any plating that could be used to achieve a blackened look on reticulated silver?

Thanks!

Karolina

Well, you haven't explained your problem Karolina, but Platinol should do the trick. It is best applied by dipping in a slightly dilute solution and then rinsing, drying and waxing.

If you want it plated, then titanium black plating, applied by a plater, might be the answer. Dennis.

I've had things ruthenium plated, which gives a lovely solid black, but I'm not sure what it would look like on reticulated.

Dennis, I didn't know you could titanium plate silver! Do you think it would be harder wearing than the ruthenium? I had a stacking ring plated black, but where it sits next to another ring, this has worn the plating off over time and it looks a bit rubbish now.

I don't know Lauren. I've suck with Platinol and lately Noirit, because it's not smelly and when it wears you get a natural antique look.

For the purposes of what I do, plating really does not come into it. Dennis.