Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Wedding Rings

Default Gold Wedding Rings

I'm making some wedding rings for a friend's wedding next month from gold - eek! I very rarely work in gold, so a couple of questions before I throw myself into it.

Can I use my borax cone to flux, or do I need a different type of flux for gold?

Her ring is 18ct yellow, a tiny 1.5mm round wire band, and his is 5mm x 1.5mm 9ct yellow D wire. I've made mockups of both rings in silver, but do I need to anneal the gold before I bend it, the same as you would silver?

Also, he would like a brushed finished on his. I used a little scotchbrite wheel in the pendant motor for the silver one. Would that work in gold as well, or is there something better I should use for a brushed finish?

Thank you

Hi Lauren, I have used a borax cone for fluxing gold on every gold job I have ever made over the past 55 years, it works perfectly on gold using gold solders. Also as to annealing, sometimes ring wires are sold to you pre annealed but if you have problems bending it just anneal it as you would when working with silver. Gold has higher melting points than silver so you won't harm it annealing it like your silver. For a good matte finish I always polish the item bright first, then use the matting wheels gently on the polished surface.

James

Thanks James!

I'll post a picture when they're done.

I still have 9ct and 18ct sheet solder left over from college(!) I'm assuming it doesn't go off...?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Thanks James!

I'll post a picture when they're done.

I still have 9ct and 18ct sheet solder left over from college(!) I'm assuming it doesn't go off...?
    Gold lasts forever, the solder just needs the surface scraped to make it clean, I keep my solder in an old air tight tobacco tin so it stays clean.

I would just like to add, that for rings a dull brushed finish however beautiful, is not sustainable. Every little knock (and they will be happening all day) will give it a shiny mark. So I would discuss with the client what he would prefer, and maybe settle for a (wet and soapy) brass brush finish instead. Dennis.

All done! Off for hallmarking tomorrow.

Dennis, I did let him know that the brushed finish won't last, but he really liked it, and they live near me so I can always redo it from time to time.

Bum. Can't upload the picture as it keeps giving me error messages

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold wedding rings.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	9218

Oh, here you go, it works now! #computerdunce

The best ever start to wedded bliss, Lauren .

Lovely workmanship Lauren - I do like the brushed finish too.