Thread: Un bezel setting?

Default Un bezel setting?

Hello there,

I have a couple of bezel set cabs (about 9mm and the setting has a closed flat back) from one of my early stone setting projects. Looking at them now, I can do better, so I was wondering if its possible to get the stones out, how tricky it is without damaging them and the approach to take?

Incidentally if people think its not worth it - they're not particularly expensive stones - I'm just wondering if it can be done.

Many thanks,

Faith

Hi Faith,
    Most stones are hard enough to withstand unsetting, and if you take care not to mangle the bezel edges, the bezel can eventually be re-annealed and re used too.

To unseat the stone you have to insert something very thin between stone and metal, gradually applying more pressure and going round four or five times , until there is a space all around. Then use something sticky like BluTack, or adhesive tape to lift it out.

My favourite tool for this is the tip of a snap off craft knife, which has been quickly flamed at the tip to make it less brittle. That stops it wedging and breaking off in the space created.

If you only want the stone, you can make three or four vertical saw cuts through the bezel to weaken it. Most stones will not be marked if you use your finest blade for this. In any case this is a marvellous opportunity to gain experience for the future. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Many thanks for the tips. I wont need the bezel (that's mainly what's wrong with these!) but the bezel walls were pretty thin and fragile so I'll try the craft knife way first and see how I get on.

Ta again,
    Faith