Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench cut-out

Default Bench cut-out

Is there a standard size for the cut out on a jewellers bench. Nearly finished making a new bench, but the bit that I have cut out seems small. I bought 2 sets of flat pack drawer units and a big slab of 25mm ply. I screwed a piece of 2 x 2 timber to the wall and screwed the ply to it and then screwed the ply to the drawer unit tops. It seems very solid but have a GRS. and can't seem to get a good size cutout. I think it was Caroline suggested using a dustbin lid, not sure how big a dustbin lid is.

You'll get lots of answers here Pat and you will have to adapt it to the size of your bench. What I do know is that it will waste a whole lot of good worktop.

I would cut out a half disk from newspaper and see what it looks like laid on. Something between 17 and 18 inches wide and 4 inches deep would do it. Then you need a jigsaw. Dennis.

Have a jigsaw, used to do quite bit of DIY when I lived on my own, when you dont have much money and doing a full time job too you learn quick or go without. Havent needed to DIY for some years as we have enough money now to be able to get someone else to make it, but the cost of a proper bench was a bit prohibitive so decided to hone my DIY skills. Scariest point was screwing the baton to the wall to hold the back of the ply as it was a lot wider than the drawers, but its over 5ft long so plenty of space. The cut out is at the moment 10 inches deep and about 18 inches across, I wanted to have something to catch bits from my piercing as the floor has a new carpet, hence the cutout plus I have a GRS system so need to fix it to the front. Its 90cms high and as I am only 5ft 3inches I keep banging my elbows as its not adjustable heightwise and my typing chair is as high as it will go. The bench top is about chest level when I am sitting which complies with the size of the manufactured ones. I havent physically seen a proper jewellers bench to compare with and its not something you would be able to window shop down in this part of the world. The last one I made from an old office desk and it was a lot lower, but I put 4" blocks under the feet to make it taller. I just dont want to get backache from a bad sitting position.

The problem with a standard size cut out is that people are not standard, the beauty of do it yourself is you can make it non standard so it will suit you mine is 10" x 24"and is not circular it has five straight sections which form the cut out.
    Start out making it on the small side try it out and you can enlarge if needed and make any other mods as you go, I sat at a commercial bench at one of the local retailers and it was horrible so I went into cabinet maker mode ( my trade) and built one to suit me, what I'm trying to say is that a proper Jewellers bench is the one that suits the Jeweller working at it.

That was the size i measured first, then decided to make it 18 inches. It is too small, I keep knocking my elbows.

Ganokskin has some workbench designs that might be useful? http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...er-benches.htm
    Jules

Well, Ive only got a little one!
    I have a homemade bench, and when I was making it I tried to think of the reason for the cutout.
    The best I came up with were to enable you to set the peg back into the bench so that the filings would fall into a skin or tray below but in line with the front edge of the bench. And to enable you to rest your arms on something to possibly reduce fatigue.
    I tried loads of sizes in scrap kitchen cabinets, and decided it was more comfortable to rest my forearms rather than elbows, and smaller was better - for me - despite being 6'4'' and 19 stone.
    I used the size that would enable the grs benchmate handle to rotate 360 without snagging the sides.
    Too big a cutout and I would have weakened the top and lost valuable surface real estate to lose things on.
    I dont think I have ever rested my arms
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benchcutout.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	9031

I think its good to be able to brace your elbows against something when your doing certain operations. I dont have a cutout on my home bench but its mainly used for setting

I used a dustbin lid to mark mine out - perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Its 90cms high and as I am only 5ft 3inches I keep banging my elbows as its not adjustable heightwise and my typing chair is as high as it will go.
    There's a big range of height-adjustable gas-strut swivel chairs on the market that have very varied minimum and maximum heights. I would do a bit of research and see if you can find one that goes high enough for your needs. I have two: one that goes from low to medium height, and one from medium to high. They cover all my needs for the crafts I do.

You can also make your Benchmate mounting plate height adjustable by attaching a vertical steel plate to the front of your bench with pairs of mounting holes drilled at different heights. GRS make one themselves, but it is quite expensive.