Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torch Advice Please - Small V hot flame

Default Torch Advice Please - Small V hot flame

Hi - I am happy sticking to my micro torch (for lots of reasons) but there is one thing I can't do with it - I want to ball the end of a wire, put it through a hole in my metal and then ball the other end so it balls up to the metal (hope that makes sense). I only need to do this occasionally so am looking for a cheap as possible solution for a torch that will make a small, hot (hotter than the micro torch) flame (it needs to be hot as sometimes there may be a stone involved and I'll be balling up to the stone.

Any help would be really great !

Quote Originally Posted by TMFrance View Post
    Hi - I am happy sticking to my micro torch (for lots of reasons) but there is one thing I can't do with it - I want to ball the end of a wire, put it through a hole in my metal and then ball the other end so it balls up to the metal (hope that makes sense). I only need to do this occasionally so am looking for a cheap as possible solution for a torch that will make a small, hot (hotter than the micro torch) flame (it needs to be hot as sometimes there may be a stone involved and I'll be balling up to the stone.

Any help would be really great !
    Versaflame would do this no trouble

You would need a small flame with the addition of oxygen to manage this, and your piece would rapidly become very hot.

I would suggest you consider cold connecting, either by bending the wire on the reverse into a tiny eyelet, or by glueing on a small one hole silver bead using two part epoxy. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Versaflame would do this no trouble
    Hi Metalsmith, thanks very much for your reply. I've looked at the Versaflame but it doesn't seem to be any hotter than the torch I'm using ?

I need a hotter, smaller flame to ball up to stones and metal - a bit like thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	9024.

I'm wondering about the Sievert professional torch kit Cooksons sell that seems to go directly onto a propane tank (no oxygen) ?
    Last edited by TMFrance; 17-06-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Hi Denis, thanks very much for replying - I do do cold connections but want a different look for this - a bit like this Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
ID:	9025

I can see that a one hole ready made bead at each end could look too formal, but if you are going to use a torch the flame needs to be extremely hot to melt the wire in place.
    I have not changed my mind about the oxygen. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by TMFrance View Post
    Hi Metalsmith, thanks very much for your reply. I've looked at the Versaflame but it doesn't seem to be any hotter than the torch I'm using ?

I need a hotter, smaller flame to ball up to stones and metal - a bit like thisClick image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
ID:	9024.

I'm wondering about the Sievert professional torch kit Cooksons sell that seems to go directly onto a propane tank (no oxygen) ?
    If you are considering the Sievert jewellers torch you can get a better deal here;http://gasproducts.co.uk/sievert-pro...torch-kit.html this torch would be hot enough for any job you have, and you can add to your tool kit by buying additional torch nozzles in the future. I have a Sievert torch alongside my gas & Oxy little torch, both get their Propane from the same cylinder.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-06-2016 at 12:20 PM.

I have only one microtorch that will do this and it's a Blazer Spitfire, which burns a bit hotter at around 1370C. My Orca (EZ torch) is better still, but uses MAPP or propane and air rather than just butane - it's similar to a Sievert, but IMO more efficient with it's air input and a lot better balanced in use. I also like being able to use it with a small MAPP cannister rather than a full size propane tank.

You do need to keep the stones either under water or in wet sand whilst you work, and use plenty of flux if you're working with sterling, or any silver other than Argentium, which can become too brittle to work well for this style.

Thanks Dennis, I'm trying to get away without Oxygen at the moment but maybe I'll end up having to take that route.

Thanks Mizgeorge for your help, unfortunately MAPP gas is very difficult to get where we are in France, I've tried in the past and ended up giving up, I'll have a look at the Orca torch.