Thank you Dave, much appreciated
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Thanks Dave.

Perhaps the admins could also consider making some parts of the board (chat, off topic, swaps etc) members only as well. We all deserve a little mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I know Jo, but at least they've got an email address and visible (well to admin anyway) ip address, and can be moderated or removed if admin chooses to do so.

Personally, I would remove all registrations from people who never re-visit the forum (and are likely to be bots or spammers anyway) after 30 days. We do this on one of the boards I admin (a travel one), and in two years have only once deleted a 'real' user by mistake. It's not hard to re-register anyway.

I think there are some implications which people who have included contact information (msn, icq, skype etc) might want to think about though.
    I agree, and I just looked at the members list, of you order it by number of posts there are NINETEEN pages of people who have registered and never posted a comment (I assume our mystery Rolling Mill winner was in that list).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybank View Post
    You have to go into a public forum assuming that they are public.

This one like many others has come down ten or so people who frequently post, some of them one line responses "I agree", "don't know, but Ben will", which don't really add an aweful lot, except to build up forum relationships. Some of the posts read a bit more like Facebook that a public forum.

There is then usually a small group of forumites who post less regularly, but are all good quality useful and informative posts. These people are also "in" because they post enough and provide good technical information.

Next are the members like me who occasionally post when they have something to say or ask about, who are a bit intimidated by the intimacy of the core group of ten or so. With the odd exception most of the regulars appear to be professionals rather than hobbyists, note the websites and business talk.

The final group of members are those that joined for whatever reason and have posted once or not at all. Having had a look down the membership list many of these people haven't signed on since they joined.

Finally there are the guests, who, since it is a public forum are perfectly at liberty to visit the forum. I do think though that "Off the subject" should be members only.

I know that none of you intend it, but it is a bit intimidating to post when I only do so occasionally, I find many posts informative, I've tried the boiled egg to oxidise and am very pleased with the result and often follow links, but I have nothing to say that I consider worthwhile. I'm wondering if I'm a lurker for doing this.

I would really like to enter into the secret santa, but it comes over a bit as a very select group that has signed up so far and like Su I'm not sure if my skills are adequate.

Sorry I've gone on a bit, but basically don't put anything on the forum that you consider private.
    In registering my details for a forum, that implies a level of security. Over time people can build up friendships on boards like these and being able to share information about yourself with out the world being able to see it is perfectly reasonable to expect.

There's no reason why you shouldn't enter the Secret Santa, I have and I don't view myself as part of any select group, I have to admit that made me giggle a little bit, perception is an odd thing! Some people are in a position to post more frequently on this board, and some have volunteered as mods, which implies they will have to be more involved, but if you are an active member who posts every day or every couple of weeks, neither is any less welcom in my book!
    Lucinda

Morning all,

I think this forum is a good balance of professionals and newbies. Sometimes it can be a little intimidating when you ask what you think is a simple question, which then, because of lack of knowledge, turns out to produce a quite complicated response. Then you sit thinking, ummmm, where do I go from here then, because I have another question I'd like to ask, but don't want to hog the forum with what others might feel is a silly question that I should already know the answer to. I've tried looking things up in my books, Googling and the Cookson knowledgebase and that takes absolutely ages, but a short answer can sometimes solve the problem.

What I have learnt about being on this forum, is sometimes even though a thread I might be reading is really interesting and I could answer and contribute, I sometimes don't because I don't have anything constructive/different to add, or I'm very busy and don't have time. Other times I will wait a while until I've received a few more replies to a question I have posed to get a more general view. I must admit, I made some absolutely awful posts when I first joined, 'cos I was excited and it was my first forum and it felt great to be involved. If I'm on here posting every day I won't get anything else done, so I now limit myself much more than when I first joined.

As Sunnybank says, anything you write on a forum is public and not private. I'd go further and say that anything written by email or on a PC with internet access is not private, we might like to think it is, but it isn't - its public. BTW, I don't like this nanny state we live in either, but its there, whether we like it or not. Sorry, got a bit too serious there (oops).

It might be useful to have some of those more experienced forum posters to, perhaps with the collaboration of the Mods?, either post some simple guides on those things that are producing a multitude of questions on (or a link to something that already exists), or maybe have a 'tip for the day/how to clean your shinies' post come up at the top of the forum page?

What do others think ??

I'm off to do a few things, back later with a cup of tea and a look at posts!

Jules x

Default This is a brilliant idea

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    It might be useful to have some of those more experienced forum posters to, perhaps with the collaboration of the Mods?, either post some simple guides on those things that are producing a multitude of questions on (or a link to something that already exists), or maybe have a 'tip for the day/how to clean your shinies' post come up at the top of the forum page?

What do others think ??

Jules x
    Now i really like that "tip for the day" idea. Anyone who has a tip could submit it to the mods who could then perhaps make a "lucky dip" and post the one that they pull out of the hat each day. In that way the onus to think of tips is not all on the shoulders of the mods, but is open to he suggestions of all those with some knowledge to share.

What you guys might think is everyday knowledge to you, might be just what some of us noobs could do with hearing, without it all getting to involved.

I know the mods have a lot to do, and i hate to put more on their shoulders, but perhaps one of the Cooksons admins wouldnt mind taking on the task of collating and posting the daily tip? please, please pretty please with a cherry on top??
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Even though I make my living from jewellery making I still have a lot to learn. I do tend to switch off though at some of the really technical explanations.

I think no-one should feel intimidated as we all had to start somewhere. Doing something like the Secret Santa may help us think beyond what we normally do, which must be good. The whole point of it being secret though is that no-one should know who made what.

Sunnybank: This is partly why I'm posting my beginner stuff in the Show Your Work section, even when I know I can make the next one better. I learn a lot from seeing how other people make things (of all skill levels!) and how they fix things that went wrong. So the more people feeling up to showing their work, the better for me!

I understand the lurker thing - I do that in a number of other places, end up reading everything so I'm fairly familiar with the participants, then when I do post no one knows me because, duh!, I've been lurking

Default Cooksongold Jewellery Forum - Privacy Issues

Good morning all,

This has developed into an interesting thread with some very relevant points being raised. When I first developed a plan/proposed this forum last year after much research, my objectives clearly stated that the forum should be a public platform open to the viewing public which coincides with much of what Sunnybank has stated. I agree that as well as our most valued members, you guys who post and visit regularly, the forum should act as a information tool for those less social members for the good of Cooksongold.com.

I agree that your profiles and list should perhaps be private which Dave has now actioned, however I have noticed that members don't seem to disclose sensitive data anyway, so from my perspective I thought you guys might see this maximum exposure as a positive factor in regards to increased referral traffic as Cooksongold.com attracts in excess of a million visitors a year and growing fast. As for the privacy issue, I suggest if you would like to discuss anything of this nature, you use the private messaging service or the chat facility once live, which will be limited to members only.

Also the issue of stagnent members, we will send out reminder emails after a suitable period of time for this group and for those who fail to log in just to remind us that we're still here!

Hope this helps clear a few things up. Please let me know of any further concerns...

Cheers,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I do tend to switch off though at some of the really technical explanations.
    Can't think what you mean

Default Forum Membership

Just to clarify as I have received a few PM's from concerned members - no membership restrictions or bans will be issued to members who do not sign in or post commments. I fully understand the different and varied statuses and uses of forums and that some people simply enjoy using it as an informational tool as opposed to being a fully active member, however we do encourage people to get involved, but it's the individuals call!