Thread: solder for 18ct gold bezel

Cool solder for 18ct gold bezel

Hi there,
    I was just wodering if there's a reason Cooksons don't sell 18ct yellow gold hard wire solder. If i use medium for a bezel would I also have to use the same in silver for following operations ( gold bezel to silver base to silver shank ) to avoid melting the gold?
    I know the melting temp of gold is higher but I'm no Lalique.

Thanks in advance (I read these threads even when I don't have a question!)

Nick
    Last edited by NickD; 10-06-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: mistake

You can solve your dilemma by soldering your gold bezel to your silver shank with silver solder of your choice. Just place it inside the bezel, so that it does not flow onto gold where it can show. Dennis.

Thanks v much for answering Dennis .I don't think i explained v well. I'm planning to make a gold bezel for a turquoise cabochon.then solder that onto a silver base with silver solder and then that to the shank with silver and I was concerned the last job might cause the 1st gold solder joint to come unstuck. I was looking for hard wire gold solder to avoid the risk then I could use medium on the silver operations.But if you think it better, I'd buy the hard sheet and then use medium silver solder.
    I don't mean to be a pain and I do appreciate the help. Nick
    Last edited by NickD; 10-06-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: confused amateur

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Thanks v much for answering Dennis .I don't think i explained v well. I'm planning to make a gold bezel for a turquoise cabochon.then solder that onto a silver base with silver solder and then that to the shank with silver and I was concerned the last job might cause the 1st gold solder joint to come unstuck. I was looking for hard wire gold solder to avoid the risk then I could use medium on the silver operations.But if you think it better, I'd buy the hard sheet and then use medium silver solder.
    I don't mean to be a pain and I do appreciate the help. Nick
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/forum.php

OK, If you are worried, get a half panel of hard gold solder, but equally, it should be quite feasible to follow the medium 18ct with medium silver solder at least once. After that, go to easy.

The reason is that solders have a raised re-melting temperature when used, so in theory you could go on for ever (though carefully) with just one grade.

One secret is to work in semi darkness, so that you can monitor the heating process better. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis .That's very interesting
    ( didn't realise I could buy a half)