Thread: Easy soldering powder

Default Easy soldering powder

Can anyone give me a few tips on using the easy silver soldering powder from CG , do you just mix it with flux, I have never used it, and I would like to try it on some fine silver wire,
    thanks, Frank.

If you mean Easy Flow flux powder, it is mixed with water to the consistency of skimmed milk. Used as a flux it becomes active at a temperature lower than borax and greatly improves the flow of easy and extra easy solder.

For higher grades of solder, use borax or Auroflux. Dennis.

Silver-Solder-Powder-Easy-Coarse--60-Mesh- is it this stuff, I was wondering the same thing as I was intrested in getting some for when I start practicing filligree work.
    Can't post links yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mari_F View Post
    Silver-Solder-Powder-Easy-Coarse--60-Mesh- is it this stuff, I was wondering the same thing as I was intrested in getting some for when I start practicing filligree work.
    Can't post links yet.
    Yes Mari, that's the stuff, never used it, seems like it would be ideal for filigree, or any fine silver wire,
    Frank

Yes, if you watch old videos, you will-see ethnic craftsmen, make solder powder for filigree by filing. They then flux the laid out filigree and sprinkle the powder all over.

you can also apply powder with a flux laden brush, or for simple designs patiently apply tiny pallions cut from strip. Dennis.

I have no idea as I've never seen it before but wondering having done a Google search if it is primarily for doing filigree work http://www.cooksongold.com/Solders/S...prcode-PTI-000.

When I posted this answer there weren't any replies other than Mari so this is totally irrelevant now.
    Last edited by CJ57; 10-06-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, if you watch old videos, you will-see ethnic craftsmen, make solder powder for filigree by filing. They then flux the laid out filigree and sprinkle the powder all over.

you can also apply powder with a flux laden brush, or for simple designs patiently apply tiny pallions cut from strip. Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis, think I might try some.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have no idea as I've never seen it before but wondering having done a Google search if it is primarily for doing filigree work http://www.cooksongold.com/Solders/S...prcode-PTI-000.

When I posted this answer there weren't any replies other than Mari so this is totally irrelevant now.
    thanks anyway, Frank