Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending items to the Assay Office

Default Sending items to the Assay Office

Hello everyone,
    I apologise if this is a much repeated question but wondered if anyone has advice about sending items to be hallmarked.
    I am registered with Sheffield office but so far have not sent anything for hallmarking.
    I have read through some of the questions previously posted and found some helpful information such as marking the place to be hallmarked with marker pen and not using too much packaging.
    I have my makers punch at home so will strike that onto the items before sending them in. Then I was going to bubble wrap the items together and send them in one of those plastic takeaway tubs in a jiffy bag?
    This is possibly a silly question but do you need to let them know you are sending items in? Also how long does it usually take before they are returned to you?
    I understand that sending more items keeps the cost down but I have heard that they all have to be the same type - ie all bracelets or all earrings. Is this correct?
    Also do you have to enclose a sample of the solder used?
    I have heard quite a few horror stories of things being lost or damaged. Is there a way to minimise this risk?
    Rather a lot of questions there - if you are still with me, then thank you for your time!
    Lily

Hi Lily how exciting!
    You can inform them if you want or at Edinburgh you can book a slot if you want but it's not obligatory. It's best to send recorded and get a proof of purchase and remember to mark on your form how you want it returned
    No items don't have to be of the same type and remember each earring counts as a single item so 2 per pair
    No sample of solder necessary.
    I've never had anything lost or damaged, do you mean by the Assay office or the post?
    Hope this is of some help

Hi Lily

I'm registered with Sheffield too - I do just what you have described in using a plastic takeaway tub. I tape a business card on to the top of the tub too.

I group things of the same type together in grip seal bags and put them in the box. box in a jiffy bag.

I tend to send mine royal mail, signed for. One thing to note is that they will not send it back anything less than signed for delivery, and they also charge more than the actual cost of signed for delivery! (I had quite a long phone call with them about it), so return postage was about £12.

I also keep my makers stamp at home, but I just send it in and they stamp them and return it with my items. I don't stamp them myself in case I put it in the wrong place!

I have marked items with marker pen when I've wanted it marking in a specific place. I think the longest I've waited to get things back is a couple of weeks.

I've found Sheffield very helpful if you need to phone and ask anything.

Hi Lily,

I always send in my hallmarking by Special Delivery, rather than Recorded which has a lower insurance value. Its wrapped in bubble wrap and then put into a small box. I would recommend return by post, rather than courier, as I know some assay offices have had trouble with couriers. Royal Mail might be a bit more expensive, but I have found them to be reliable and trustworthy. Another thing to note is that if you have delicate items to be 'struck' then you can always make a note on the hallmarking sheet for them to be lightly stuck, instead of a normal strike, so they are not damaged.

Having said all that, I've always found the Assay Office to be very helpful and used to phone with silly queries when my makers mark was set up and they were brilliant. Good luck.
    Jules

Thanks Caroline,
    The information you've given me is useful.
    I think the comments I read were referring to damage done at the assay office but I suppose it's quite a rare thing in any case.
    Lily

Thank you Kermit,
    I will use the business card idea and I think I will send my makers stamp in too - sounds like a good idea!
    Lily

Thank you Jules,
    Special delivery sounds the best option. I am grateful for your advice.
    I too found the office helpful when I was setting up my makers mark and left the size of the punch to them as I had no idea what to ask for. When it arrived it was so tiny that I couldn't read it, even with a magnifying glass. They were very kind and sent me another punch (1mm) but to be honest it is still very small. What size did you (or anyone else reading) request?
    Lily
    Last edited by Lily; 10-06-2016 at 08:58 AM.

You are welcome Lily. As for size of punch, I think mine is 5mm as I have make chainmaille, so my hallmark needs to be quite small. You need to get a size relevant to what you are currently making, but also might make in future. xx
    Jules

I think Jules meant 0.5mm, but hallmarks can be both decorative and reassuring to the purchaser, so I ask for my hallmark and sponsors mark to be in 3D laser and have them as big as is consistent with that particular piece: anything upto 3.0mm high in fact. Dennis

Thanks Jules