Hi - decided to invest in a ring stretcher back in February and having waited a couple of months for Cookies to get them back in stock it finally arrived mid May.

Works great for stretching BUT noticed with the first ring I re-sized that I had marks on the inside, which I thought I had filed/sanded before putting on the ring stretcher, but decided that I couldn't have, so refiled and sanded. No big problem but was annoyed with myself.

Second ring resized - same issue - and I definitely made sure the inside of the ring was smooth first.

On checking the ring stretcher spines, they seemed a little bit sharp on the edges especially when opened up, so thinking this was the cause of the marks I sanded them with smoother with emery paper.

Next ring I did was a little better but still marking.

I have reported the issue to Cookson with photos, and they have referred the issue to Durston but two weeks later they haven't had a response (although to be fair there's been a bank holiday in-between).

So just wondering whether significant clean-up is to be expected after stretching. The attached photo is of a test ring I did, 1.85mm sterling, rounded with rawhide mallet after soldering, inside sanded smooth. Then put on the ring stretcher and increased by one size. I used platinol on the inside of the ring just to highlight the marks I am getting - they are quite deep and will need filing to remove.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	9012

Thoughts? Is my ring stretcher faulty or are the marks to be expected?

Thanks, Susie