Thread: Photo polymer stamps help

Default Photo polymer stamps help

Good afternoon all. I am a first timer here and currently on a steep learning curve so looking for a bit of help. I purchased the photopolymer printing kit from cooks on gold and have tried many times now to make my first polymer stamp and failed miserably each time. I have read all the posts on here I could find and watched many youtube videos. I'm sure I can master this! Questions are: is there any visible way of telling if the plates have been exposed and won't work? When I received the the kit, I naively opened it in daylight! Also if I'm testing it on a timer and it doesn't work after first go, is it only fit for the bin and can't be reused? Should I be using it in the dark? I'm thinking I need to buy new polymer plates! Thanks to any of you who may be able to help. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Charm Bee View Post
    Good afternoon all. I am a first timer here and currently on a steep learning curve so looking for a bit of help. I purchased the photopolymer printing kit from cooks on gold and have tried many times now to make my first polymer stamp and failed miserably each time. I have read all the posts on here I could find and watched many youtube videos. I'm sure I can master this! Questions are: is there any visible way of telling if the plates have been exposed and won't work? When I received the the kit, I naively opened it in daylight! Also if I'm testing it on a timer and it doesn't work after first go, is it only fit for the bin and can't be reused? Should I be using it in the dark? I'm thinking I need to buy new polymer plates! Thanks to any of you who may be able to help. 😊
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this, other than there have been a number of other discussion threads on this kit. Have you tried entering 'photopolymer' into the search field? Did any of them help?

Its been a long time since I used it but exposing it to sunlight is not good, I found this video helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2VM0dAbj4 to get an idea what to do

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this, other than there have been a number of other discussion threads on this kit. Have you tried entering 'photopolymer' into the search field? Did any of them help?
    Yes I have read all the previous posts and although they helped on other matters unfortunately none solved my issues. Thanks for replying

Thanks. That's a help for sure. Will keep trying.

Exposing it to sunlight isn't great, but you're definitely not expected to work in the dark! As long as you havn't stored it or left it sitting around in the sunlight, it should still be fine.

If you've used it once, them I'm afraid it can't be used again. Exposing it to the UV light in the box hardens the exposed sections (ie: The same as leaving it sitting around in sunlight).

I posted this a while back. It might be useful to you now:

Every UV light box is different, so nobody will be able to give you the exact best exposure time for your specific box.
    Mine only takes 30 seconds, but other people seem to expose for several minutes.

The best thing to do is make yourself up a test strip. See instructions here: http://www.silverclayart.com/How%20t...r%20Plates.pdf

Detail for handprints and footprints (ie: If you're making silver handprint or footprint jewellery) should be fine as long as you're not trying to make them too small.
    As a rough guide, no individual line should be smaller than 1mm.

If you're still having trouble, try these guys: http://www.metalclay.co.uk/
    They're really helpful and have a huge range of plates for different applications: http://www.metalclay.co.uk/stamp-mak...olymer-plates/

Hope that's helpful

Thank you so much Lucie! Really helpful information.

You're welcome sweetie. Hope it helps xx