Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pickling

Default pickling

hi, does anyone have any advice on a cheap way to pickle? i cant afford a pickle tank is there a cheap option i could use that isnt too dangerous? I think a friend of mine uses a plastic tub, is that advisable?

Hi unhindered plastic is not advised i just use a pyrex dish with a meths burner, but lots of people on here use a slow cooker you can buy them quite cheaply so its on my list of things i need to get

I use a Pyrex dish too - it's about 6" in diameter and has a plastic lid to seal it when not in use. I use citric acid and nuke my solution in the microwave - so the cost outlay was minimal.

After a suggestion here, I've been putting the warmed solution on a tea-light plate warmer to keep it warm and that works a treat. So I've managed with stuff I had to hand and a 49p packet of citric acid. Although it's not easy to buy on the high street now as it is used to cut with drugs (apparently), so I've been asked to prove what I'm using it for more than once now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    So I've managed with stuff I had to hand and a 49p packet of citric acid. Although it's not easy to buy on the high street now as it is used to cut with drugs (apparently), so I've been asked to prove what I'm using it for more than once now.
    Well i just dont believe it what next just tell them you are descaling a babys bottle steamer lol x

you can also buy alum from chemists, about 70p a pack. I have a £20 slow cooker from argos. But you could use a hot water from a kettle in a glass jar.
    Em

I asked this on an american forum too and they also mentioned about slow cookers, sounds like a good idea, can I just use the pickle solution on cooksons in it? and is it ok to leave on constantly when in use? Sorry for all the questions, i've just finished uni so I had everything I needed there and I'm trying to set up a little workshop at home!

I leave mine on the 'keep warm' (lowest) setting all day. I do top up with water to keep the solution dilute enough. However, I only use safety pickle rather than acid.

I use a slow cooker with alum. (I use alum because it doesn't react with enamel).

Mine's alum too (sorry, should have mentioned that)

Apart from the enamel already mentioned - does alum offer any advantages over citric acid? As I pickle in the kitchen I chose citric acid for safety's sake, but was also on the look out for alum too, but never found any. I'm happy enough with citric acid, but if it proves harder to find, alum would be a suitable kitchen-friendly alternative.