Thread: Polishing the inside of a ring

Default Polishing the inside of a ring

Hello,
    I had a good search for this but couldn't actually find a previous thread about it. For polishing the inside of a ring, would the little felt points be the best tool to use (on a Dremel)? This is something I've been a bit sloppy about before (rings made only for me) and have just used a bit of rouge on a cloth, but it hasn't ever made for a great finish and I'm looking to do a much better job!
    Thanks very much
    Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Hello,
    I had a good search for this but couldn't actually find a previous thread about it. For polishing the inside of a ring, would the little felt points be the best tool to use (on a Dremel)? This is something I've been a bit sloppy about before (rings made only for me) and have just used a bit of rouge on a cloth, but it hasn't ever made for a great finish and I'm looking to do a much better job!
    Thanks very much
    Faith
    There are various ways, but you will no doubt settle on your favourite one Faith. One thing I would never use is polishing compound, because it makes a mess.

If they are a bit rough inside, I would start with sand paper polishing drums, or drum shaped silicon wheels. Then I would go on with radial disks.

Personally, I prefer the inside of a ring to have a satin finish and don't go on further. Dennis.

I do exactly the same as Dennis. I use a rough sanding drum and then a fine, followed by yellow, blue and green radial disks.

Hi Dennis, Carole,
    Many thanks for the answers. Dennis's suggestion about a satin finish is a definite possibility (I don't have any good sanding drums at the moment, those that came with the Dremel look quite industrial to me) but I can go to 2000 grit emery on round wooden sticks I made). My only confusion is were you suggesting using the radial disks to polish the inside (if I wanted to)? The ring I'm making is a size J and the disks won't fit, but am I missing something about a different technique with them?
    Many thanks Faith

I use a split mandrel on my dremel with wet and dry up to 7000 grit

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Hi Dennis, Carole, The ring I'm making is a size J and the disks won't fit, but am I missing something about a different technique with them?
    Many thanks Faith
    Hi Faith,
    This is where we've got one over you. We have worn down radial disks, that will easily get inside a size J ring.

Alternatively, you can buy a single split mandrel and use a short strip cut from your sandpaper in it as suggested by Glitter. Learn which way round it goes and run it quite slowly, or the flapping will scare you at first.
    I favour the parallel sided one, as it holds the paper better. You can adjust the split by inserting a knife, or pinching it with pliers. http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AER Dennis.

Yes, I also keep worn down radial brushes for just this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Faith,
    This is where we've got one over you. We have worn down radial disks, that will easily get inside a size J ring.
    Dennis.
    Well that's just crafty - better get using my radial disks! Thanks for the split mandrel link though, I'll give that a go
    Faith