Thread: Speculative question on tumble polishing

Default Speculative question on tumble polishing

What do you think would happen to unglazed porcelain in a tumble polisher? Before I actually try it out (and find that it just means I have a polisher full of china sand)

On the mohs scale, unglazed porcelain has a hardness of 7 (apparently). Stainless steel shot is around 5.5.

So the science would say the porcelain should win. Whether it can take the repeated falling is another matter, but provided the pieces aren't especially large, I think I'd give it a go. I've certainly tumbled old bits of china without any problems in the past. Given the firing temperatures involved, it should be tougher than glass, and that tumbles perfectly.

Thanks George! Very helpful!

On unglazed porcelain, one concern would be dark streaks, so I would try a piece of shot on a sample by hand Lydia.

In response to this, I have just written my name on the unglazed bottom of a ceramic dish using a stainless steel needle. However problems might not arise using ceramic cones. Dennis.

I have a test piece, so I will give it a try. I'm planning a few pieces with fired porcelain connected to silver (so it needs to be all polished together.) Thank you!