Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Jewellery Abroad from the UK

Default Posting Jewellery Abroad from the UK

Hello!

I'm almost ready to launch my website, however I'm getting stuck when it comes to postage so just wondering if anyone can help?

It looks as though I can't send jewellery to Australia, but are there other countries that I can't post jewellery to? I was going to have worldwide shipping but it looks as though I won't be able to... Does anyone have a list of countries that I can/can't send jewellery to from the UK? I've tried looking on the Royal Mail website but there's so much information!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. Daisy

Why not to Aus?
    The problem generally isn't sending it off, but in it actually getting there. Unless you want to get into the courier companies we are stuck with Royal Mail and you need to be aware that their signed delivery only covers for costs of ingredients, not your work or profit. Some countries have signed and tracked, some have no track but a signature and some have just signature, no tracking.
    Shipping to any EU country is a doddle. Just wrap and post - no need to worry about customs forms and all that stuff (at least for now!) Everywhere non-EU will need a customs form and the world customs code
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

On the Royal Mail site it states it is forbidden to send jewellery in the post to Australia. I checked. Lots. Fed Ex will do it, but you are looking at between £50-£70 Infuriating. Canada is tricky, everywhere else is ok but customs charges can be high.

Thank you Pearlescence! On the Royal Mail website it says that jewellery is a prohibited item to send to Australia. I'm not sure why though, so wasn't sure if there are other countries where sending jewellery is prohibited..

I think I mayl go for worldwide, except to Aus, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks Lydia. Why is Canada tricky? In terms of customs charges?

I just went to check Aus - jewellery is listed as prohibited still, on the list just above nuclear reactors!
    Canada I could not get a straight answer as to whether jewellery was allowed or not. The people orderibg from me came to the UK later in the year so collected it. You might have better luck getting an answer from royal mail!

Yes, as Lydia said, Australia is a definite no. The post office will just refuse to send it.

I've posted to Canada before with no problems, but it was a while ago so ruled may have changed.

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/cus...-articles.html

This says it's a list from 2007, but I use it as a guide, then look up restrictions on each country's postal service website. I think I got as far as F...

I never knew this! I am posting something to america today, do I need to do anything additional or will they go through it all with me? Was planning on using the self service machine but maybe i should go to the counter

I don't know what the Royal Mail is up to, but there is no prohibition on the Australian side for jewellery per se. There are certain restrictions - eg, bullion, or diamonds not properly certificated under the Kimberley process. See https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Proh - no mention of jewellery. I send stuff to Australia - I don't write "jewellery" on the CN22 but do declare honestly using words like "metal chain and pendant", "metal bangle", etc. If a problem is going to arise, I imagine it would be in the event of a loss and insurance claim, as I assume the Royal Mail would not pay out, so I would think twice about sending items of high value.
    Alan