Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Jewellery Abroad from the UK

US should be fine - I always send International tracked & signed and you need to put a customs declaration on it - they'll talk you through it :-)

There is some kind of issue with jewellery and bullion everywhere from what I can tell.
    Fed ex quoted me £50 from the UK to Portugal but that was uninsured so do check.
    Royal mail do a fully insured service to Europe although has just cost me £84 to include £1500 worth of cover on gold and silver items.
    TNT I think do a worldwide service for bullion and jewellery from the UK but you need to tell your customers there may be customs to pay outside the EU.
    I also couldn't find an insured service for bullion/jewellery with DHL so this does need looking into carefully before you decide.
    In the end I have gone for sending tracked but covering my stuff myself if it goes missing generally, just wasn't prepared to take the risk on the £1500 parcel.

Thank you for the info everyone! :-)

It may be to do with this http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Impo
    If the product is valued at $1000 AUD (about £500 today) it is liable for taxation via import duty.
    If you consider that in this country import duty is calculated on the value of the item, Royal mail wouldn't want to police that or insure it where as DHL etc.. do

Tax/duty on imports is normal for most countries, based on value + shipping above a certain threshold - and the normal thing is for the postal service within the country of import (or the courier) to charge those taxes and pay them to the tax authorities before they'll deliver (while also levying a handling charge themselves). It's the same here if you bring anything in from outside the EU that's above our thresholds for duty (variable, depending on what it is and where it's from) and VAT (20% on item value plus shipping). So that's not unique to Australia, nor to jewellery. I've not heard a reasonable explanation of why the Royal Mail have jewellery on their prohibited list for Australia yet the Australian customs authorities don't...
    Alan

Odd since I've shipped loads, and I have a fellow pearl seller in Aus who sends and receives. They have a !k Ad threshold for tax too, lucky them,. as against our measly £18.
    I know canada is expensive but again, I have several regulars
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Royal mail can be slightly bonkers but I have shipped lots there, and handed over the counter at my local office, insured too.
    My regular office knows me well, but the other office here insists on asking for each item what is in it, which is horrific when the person working the other side of the counter is deaf. I usually ask if she can't read since there is a customs declaration form there... they are real jobsworths
    It does help if you have the correct international code (https://www.gov.uk/finding-commodity-codes)
    You need a customs declaration form for America, Unhindered.
    Royal mail will pay out if you send insured - but only, as with special delivery, the basic cost of the materials used, not the cost of your labour or profit. I've ended up sending in receipts in Mandarin before now and invited them to pay the airfare for me to replace them, They will take your money to insure at price but then pay out a fraction. So only insure for the cost of your materials.
    Of course shipping to other EU countries is (at least for now and hopefully for ever) so much eacher. No need for all this nonsense, just put in envelope and post. no customs, no duty no nonsense
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

They have never been able to satisfactorily answer the 'why', but I have never wanted to risk something being lost and then being unable to claim for sending prohibited goods.

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I don't know what the Royal Mail is up to, but there is no prohibition on the Australian side for jewellery per se. There are certain restrictions - eg, bullion, or diamonds not properly certificated under the Kimberley process. See https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Proh - no mention of jewellery. I send stuff to Australia - I don't write "jewellery" on the CN22 but do declare honestly using words like "metal chain and pendant", "metal bangle", etc. If a problem is going to arise, I imagine it would be in the event of a loss and insurance claim, as I assume the Royal Mail would not pay out, so I would think twice about sending items of high value.
    Alan
    I did actually email Australian customs dept to clarify and you are right, there is no prohibition on jewellery entering the country by other means, but it is prohibited to enter the country via their postal service. Bonkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    I never knew this! I am posting something to america today, do I need to do anything additional or will they go through it all with me? Was planning on using the self service machine but maybe i should go to the counter
    I ship to the US regularly using International Tracked and Signed with no problems at all.