Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Posting Jewellery Abroad from the UK

must be something to do with made up items I regularly have stones posted to me from all over the world

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I did actually email Australian customs dept to clarify and you are right, there is no prohibition on jewellery entering the country by other means, but it is prohibited to enter the country via their postal service. Bonkers!
    Mebbe we should chip in and recruit a mule...

It was much cheaper than I was expecting after checking online, and I managed to do it using a self service machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-Aus. in that case it's a bit of a swizz that they allow made items to be exported, which they do.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Jewellery is allowed to Australia. I am 100% sure.
    You can check their customs website for restricted/prohibited items. This problem is known among Etsy jewellery sellers - some even contacted Australian authorities and had confirmed in writing that it is allowed.
    Problem is that Royal Mail refers to different document (some postal union restriction list where almost everything is restricted). Result is that they won't reimburse any lost package claim (to Australia containing jewellery). Ask me how I know
    I ship jewellery to Australia with Royal Mail, but another problem is tracking. Tracked and signed is not available to Australia, only signed (tracking stops after leaving UK).
    For more valuable jewellery I recommend couriers (always through 3rd parties for best rates, but possibly lower insurance).

More info in this thread: https://www.etsy.com/uk/teams/7718/q...cuss/16268560/
    Last edited by Edhelien; 17-06-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelien View Post
    Jewellery is allowed to Australia. I am 100% sure.
    You can check their customs website for restricted/prohibited items. This problem is known among Etsy jewellery sellers - some even contacted Australian authorities and had confirmed in writing that it is allowed.
    Problem is that Royal Mail refers to different document (some postal union restriction list where almost everything is restricted). Result is that they won't reimburse any lost package claim (to Australia containing jewellery). Ask me how I know
    I ship jewellery to Australia with Royal Mail, but another problem is tracking. Tracked and signed is not available to Australia, only signed (tracking stops after leaving UK).
    For more valuable jewellery I recommend couriers (always through 3rd parties for best rates, but possibly lower insurance).

More info in this thread: https://www.etsy.com/uk/teams/7718/q...cuss/16268560/
    Unfortunately I have been to several post offices and as soon as they see 'jewellery' written on the customs label, they refuse to take the package, so I'd rather not take the risk of adding Australia to my list of countries to ship to, only to then have to tell the customer that I can't actually ship the item.

I had also contacted Australian customs about this and they said that there was no problem with importing jewellery into Australia, just that there were restrictions on importing it via mail.

Yes the main problem seems to be getting the mail companies to insure it.
    Ive sent stuff all over- australia, US Canada etc but when I actually went into the details of tracking and insurance for either bullion/stones or finished pieces most won't cover you.
    I did just use a fully insured fully tracked service from the UK to Portugal for £1500 worth of bullion and that cost me £84 and took 10 days to arrive ( Royal mail)

I send jewellery to Australia and America all the time though its not insured. I've not had a problem yet but I figure I'll have to bear the loss if it doesn't arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Unfortunately I have been to several post offices and as soon as they see 'jewellery' written on the customs label
    I don't write jewellery on customs label, it's way too risky. I started with "handmade jewellery", moved to "handmade accessories" because of high lost packages rate, but it is probably too vague. So I use HS tariff codes - clear, exact and not theft inviting.
    I am lucky, my post office worker (only one woman working there, same every time) doesn't ask and doesn't care (she did, when I was there for the first time, but now she knows me).