Thread: Alexandrite

Default Alexandrite

Hi guys I'm looking for a 3mm round purple alexandrite, no luck at A E wards my usual port of call, any other ideas? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    Hi guys I'm looking for a 3mm round purple alexandrite, no luck at A E wards my usual port of call, any other ideas? Thank you
    Wards say they are exceedingly rare and expensive. However as I call in there, I know that they have much more variety than shown online, so I would phone them. 020 7253 4036.

In view of the rarity and colour change properties it is quite dicey to get them from an unknown source, but I would trust www.marcusmccallum.com/ and www.marcialanyon.com/ Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-02-2016 at 05:24 AM.

Thank you Dennis, I did call them they don't have any purple in 3mm round but I got them to send me green ones to view, and a purple synthetic they had but it's very pale! I will try them thanks

I had a look at Marcia Lanyon last night but they are upgrading their website so you will need to phone them too

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I had a look at Marcia Lanyon last night but they are upgrading their website so you will need to phone them too
    I called them but they only have green, thank you I spoke to someone at May Gems who had one and was going to email me pictures but I'm still waiting...

I am not an expert but I thought that Alexandrite is naturally green and changes colour to purple in electric light, see;http://www.gia.edu/alexandrite-description

James

Yes I think some are more vibrant than others though, one I have been sent a photo of is much more striking than the ones wards have sent me

Just to conclude this incase it's helpful to anyone the one I got from May Gem's is lovely but also expensive!

Africa Gems has heaps but too expensive as far as I'm concerned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk