Thread: Inspired By…

Default Inspired By…

This term our jewellery class was busy with several projects. Firstly, we were encouraged to enter the annual competition for adult learners: to make a piece of work inspired by the collections or exhibitions at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Below is an excerpt from my application and accompanying photographs.

‘In January I saw ‘Bejewelled Treasures, The Al Thani Collection’ and was fascinated by the turban ornaments, pendants and brooches, made by famous companies such as Fabergé and Cartier. Several had a central carved emerald, surrounded by diamond-set ornamental frames.
    My inspiration was taken from the hexagonal carved emerald of the Parure Bérénice, which had originally been the centrepiece of a necklace. It was first exhibited at the Paris Exposition of 1925, where the term Art Deco was coined. In the subdued lighting of the exhibition, it reminded me uncannily of a piece of electronic circuitry.

For my entry, I have made a brooch in art deco style, using square silver wire with bevelled edges, joined to create decorative grooves. The centre is filled with a rectangle of green circuit board: a highly prized contemporary gem. To add sparkle I have added some small, randomly placed chrystal chatons and protected it with a Perspex cover.

It is quite a heavy piece, so I have provided double pins of stainless steel, with an improvised catch and hinge.’

The works chosen from country wide entries can be viewed at the Morley Gallery London. I was pleased to have my Modern Jewel Brooch selected for the exhibition and since the prize in the jewellery category was won by a classmate, it has kept it in the family, so to speak. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1m Modern Jewel Brooch.jpg   2m Side View.jpg   3m Reverse.jpg  

That's so clever Dennis - I love the interpretation!

Brilliant concept and beautifully executed!
    Alan

Now that's really thinking out of the square (or should I say in the rectangle)

Thank you all for your kind comments, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 24-05-2016 at 09:10 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

How chipper! Great use of modern and retro all in one beautiful brooch.

Thank you Wallace. BTW, I like your Insect Hotel pendant too. I have been to a few insect hotels, but they were never as pretty as that . Dennis.