Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not on the High Street, Jewel Street etc...

Wow! 8 weeks! It's good to know that if you produce niche, quality items people will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceri View Post
    Hi Lauren,

I didn't mean to put you off JewelStreet. I am sure that had I followed up my query regarding descriptions and specifications by contacting the owners of the relevant boutiques I would probably have been able to ascertain whether the pearls used in a particular piece were cultured or natural (the description read carbon neutral pearls) or if a piece described as 18ct gold and silver was mainly plate. I guess I was just a little disappointed with the curation of the site because they make a big thing about wanting to enlighten the customer about the product and yet some boutiques are leaving very pertinent information off the specifications (gem size, materials etc..) I suspect that if you went for it and JewelStreet thinks your products will suit they will be forthcoming about the costs involved and as your website is already up and running (and looks fab). I didn't apply because I wanted approximate costs first! I think that your roller derby jewellery would go down a storm in the US and therefore selling through JewelStreet or NOTHS might make sense.
    Aw, thanks Ceri. I need to re-do all my photography on a white background, as that is the JewelStreet style, then I might give applying a go.

I do sell a lot of my roller derby jewellery to the US on Etsy. I think Etsy is more well known in the US than it is over here though.

Jewelstreet has unfathomable criteria for acceptance. It seems to accept fake pearls and plated over real pearls and precious metal, and also favour those who fudge defining what they are selling re pearls and metal. (Yes I was turned down some years ago, but since they now have mostly expensive fakes I won't be applying again - known by the company you keep etc)
    I'm told by those who do use it that Etsy is not what it was. No longer all handmade for example,
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Etsy changed their policies so that "outwork" became acceptable a while ago - which of course translates directly to "mass produced in sweat shops". The signal-to-noise ratio is quite bad now.

Still, at least their policies match their handling of the situation now.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Etsy changed their policies so that "outwork" became acceptable a while ago - which of course translates directly to "mass produced in sweat shops". The signal-to-noise ratio is quite bad now.

Still, at least their policies match their handling of the situation now.
    Yes, it is quite difficult as a jeweller on there! I had a message from someone a while ago informing me that there must be an error in an item listing - the price! Apparently she thought the necklace should be much cheaper, as so much 'silver' on Etsy sells for peanuts. So frustrating.

Thats not always the mass produced stuff either though, I notice some seem to be hobbyists selling for peanuts too.

It's incredibly difficult to get accepted by Noths. I was very lucky to have been asked when they were still in their infancy. They turn down 80% of people who apply.

Jewelstreet, I believe are now only interested in high end jewellery, since they were given an injection of capital by venture capitalists.

Etsy is mostly for hobbyists but some people do very well on there.

Its quite easy to get accepted by Amazon Handmade but although I was accepted, Noths will not allow us to list things, so I don't know whether its any good.

For myself, 75% of my sales come from Noths, 20% from my own website and 5% (at the moment, as I've only just started listing things) is from Etsy. I've also been accepted by Hardtofind in Australia but I haven't had time to list anything yet.

My advice, if you want to be accepted on Noths is to get really good professional lifestyle photography done and to have a range of jewellery that is very different to anything else that is already on the site. They also love personalised and design lead jewellery. They also do special days when you can take your stuff in and I think thats worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    It's incredibly difficult to get accepted by Noths. I was very lucky to have been asked when they were still in their infancy. They turn down 80% of people who apply.

Jewelstreet, I believe are now only interested in high end jewellery, since they were given an injection of capital by venture capitalists.

Etsy is mostly for hobbyists but some people do very well on there.

Its quite easy to get accepted by Amazon Handmade but although I was accepted, Noths will not allow us to list things, so I don't know whether its any good.

For myself, 75% of my sales come from Noths, 20% from my own website and 5% (at the moment, as I've only just started listing things) is from Etsy. I've also been accepted by Hardtofind in Australia but I haven't had time to list anything yet.

My advice, if you want to be accepted on Noths is to get really good professional lifestyle photography done and to have a range of jewellery that is very different to anything else that is already on the site. They also love personalised and design lead jewellery. They also do special days when you can take your stuff in and I think thats worth doing.
    I've signed up for one of their pitching days in October Carole - the idea is terrifying me!

Suspect I'm not what they're after, as I don't really do personalised jewellery, but figured I'd give it a go.

Lots of luck Lauren. Your stuff is lovely and your photography is good. It doesn't have to be personalised.

I've been shot down by noths twice now and it's most likely my photographs! I will get them done professionally next time I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk