Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holding tiny items to saw

Default Holding tiny items to saw

Hello,
    I am sure this question has come up before so apologies (I can't seem to find the answer I need).
    Does anyone have a brilliant way to hold really tiny items for sawing please? I usually do jump rings on a kebab stick or knitting needle but that doesn't work for this item and nor does using tape. It's too small to hold in my fingers without damage.
    Someone, somewhere has a very nifty solution I am sure....
    Thanks!

Would wrapping the tips of a little pliers with lots of masking tape to avoid marking it, and using that to hold it, work? I guess it depends on the shape of the think you're sawing....

Thank you Marna!
    I will have a go and let you know...

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I do that with curved nose pliers

have also drilled into a set of pliers and rounded the edges on a pair too.

you could always invest in one of these, but will need to add some leather as the teeth on these bite hard into metal - click here for link

or a pin vice for really fiddly little things (things I like to make! ) click here for link

Sadly still too fiddly, but worth a try thank you!
    It's a bit awkward because I am trying to cut one tiny area without catching the silver close behind it. Tempted to do it with snips but I need to solder the edges together afterwards so wanted a nice clean cut and I don't think I could get the snips in to do one cut (would need two, one from each side).

Thank you for the links Wallace,
    The first one might be the answer. I found a c-clamp (I think) in the garage but it wasn't really strong enough and the silver slipped, so tried putting that into my vice to hold pliers. I ended up with something that looked quite Heath Robinson and it still didn't work. The one you suggested looks better with the screw tightener.
    You say you drilled into pliers - can you tell me how that works please?
    Thank you again

I am not sure what you are trying to hold, have you considered surgical clamps, I have a few pairs that I used on a job after I filed off the teeth, Amazon sell them, see;https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...l_3ur01nre6h_e

James

Thank you James! Another great suggestion - they look fine enough to work - my pliers just got in the way. It's a small fattened square of silver - like a jump ring - and I need to make a join on one side.

I mean flattened- not fattened

Well actually, it is usually possible to leave a stem or tab on an item (just draw it in before you start). This will act as a handle and can be cut off at the last moment. Dennis.