Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holding tiny items to saw

Have you tried putting it in a ring clamp, the wooden sort with a wedge you push in. I use mine a lot for holding small items.
    Or I clamp them in my little Proxxon bench vice with rubber jaws and swivel the head to the right angle for sawing.

my suggestion:

Ring clamp

Another suggestion and a useful tool for your collection is a mini hand vice, like this model;http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/H...ICE--2863.html

James

I tend to hold tiny things like that down on the bench peg with my left thumb nail pressing it, have sawed my nail several times though LOL

Another tip, recently I had to pierce some very thin scrolls to replace missing inlays in a tortoise shell box, as the gold inlays were to be as thin as paper, to make the piercing easier I super glued the thin gold sheet to some silver sheet, drew and pierced out the designs then gently heated the sheet and the metals separated leaving me the paper thin scrolls to inlay in the shell snuff box.

James

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    my suggestion:

Ring clamp
    Doh! I didn't see Theresa's entry!

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    my suggestion:

Ring clamp
    Don't know what I was doing wrong with my wedge ring clamp, but no matter how hard I pushed the wedge in it repeatedly dropped out which was very frustrating. So I changed to the one with the side screw and find it works very well.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AKX

Sometimes the screw does get in the way a bit, but other times I can usefully rest it on my bench peg for additional support.

Such a sensible idea Dennis! I will definitely use this one on future projects. Thank you

I think the ring clamp might work if I put it into the vice thank you Theresa. Definitely worth a try.

Metalsmith thank you - actually I am overwhelmed with the kindness of people willing to help. I had spent an afternoon, mostly on my hands and knees, as I searched for the bit of silver that had pinged off somewhere again. Even if the suggestions don't help this time I shall certainly be using them in future projects.