Thread: Silicone/rubber wheels help.

Default Silicone/rubber wheels help.

Hi, I'm new to the forum...well I introduced myself ages ago, then moved house and otherwise got distracted.

I recently bought some eveflex wheels and while they definitely give a good shine and get the scratches out, they are leaving my jewellery (flat, pierced pieces) with a wavy, rippled surface...I've tried (on separate pieces) just using a very, very light touch, using all the wheels in the same direction, changing direction with each wheel change, and I get the same issue every time.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It isn't the end of the world if these just aren't for me, I get on well sanding by hand with emery or wet and dry and using radials, it's just bugging me because I'm obviously messing up somewhere, I just can't figure out where.

Thanks

Tam

If I understand your problem correctly it sounds as though you may be leaving the wheels in one place too long you need to keep them constantly moving, some this type of wheel cut very quickly with little effort and will make a flat spot in a heartbeat if you stop moving

Yes china is quite right, and the truth is that even in expert hands flat surfaces will not remain flat using polishing wheels. However they are brilliant for edges which are no wider than the wheel.

After a while the wheels will need dressing, as they become grooved or uneven with use. This can be done on any diamond coated surface, or even a diamond cylinder burr, without harming the diamond. Dennis.

Are you using the narrow wheels?
    You would be better with this shape on a flat surface and save the narrow wheels for tight areas
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-1955
    I use them all the time and find the brilliant.

Hi again :-)

Thanks for your replies. I do tend to keep it moving, but maybe not enough, I'm going to give the ones Enigma linked to a try when I can too as it makes sense that a bigger contact area will give me less of a problem.

Thank you so much for your help.