Thread: Aloha from Devon

Default Aloha from Devon

Hi Cookie world

I've just joined and wanted to say hello. So I got the bug at the start of this year and recently finished an evening course in metal jewellery making using mainly copper. Went for it and applied the same techniques to silver at home and my work area has grown into two crammed mini-benches of tools. My husband didn't think he'd meet a tool he didn't know the purpose of, but he's definitely swallowed his words.

Having practised the basics I'm enjoying pushing myself and trying new ideas and designs, with occasional success - followed by some victorious posturing in the privacy of my tiny jewellery/wardrobe room.

I've tried a few crafts in the past and get a buzz out of making just about anything I get the opportunity to make, but silversmithing has really let me find my flow. I love the fine finishing and attention to detail (and of course the FIRE).

Would love to see it go somewhere more serious at some point in the future but won't be getting too ahead of myself before my work is worthy, so I'm looking forward to sharing ideas, chatting with and learning from the experienced on this forum. I'm getting great support from my mother-in-law who runs her own fairtrade jewellery and gift business (non-homemade) online and via show stands.

Things I like to incorporate: organic forms and shapes, using found natural materials like shell, driftwood and sea glass courtesy of the Devon coastline, interesting textures.

Thanks and looking forward to getting involved.

A few examples of what I'm doing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue glass ring 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	8953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shard 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	8954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rings x2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	8955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driftwood 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	8956
    Last edited by MPrice; 17-05-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Hi MPrice, it's good to have you along. There's some interesting things you're making.

Hi, I am in Exeter, where are you. I started with an evening course at Exeter college too. All my tools have been packed up for over a month as we have just moved house. And can only get on the internet with 4g as provider got it wrong and got the dates mixed up!!!!!!

Thank you metalsmith for the welcome

Hi Patstone, I'm in Plymouth and did my evening course at Plymouth College of Art. Nice to meet you, I know what chaos moving house can cause so I can completely sympathise, hope you can get back to normal in your new place very soon!

I'm just enjoying your website at the moment, you have some really beautiful creations - hope to perhaps see you at a nearby craft fair soon.