Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver of sulphur on cutlery

Default Liver of sulphur on cutlery

Hi, everyone!

I wonder if anyone could tell me if it's safe to use cutlery which has hand stamped letters on it which are oxidised with LOS, please?

Thank you

If it's not safe would anyone be able to suggest a safe alternative, please?

On the part you'd put in your mouth/stir your tea with.

It probably wouldn't harm you. It might give off a slightly metallic taste, but many of us have eaten from tarnished EPNS.

However given the choice, I would rather have the stamping on the handle where it belongs, or at least not have it blackened. Dennis.

I'm with Dennis, if putting on the bowl I wouldn't colour it but it would be better on the handle

On the handle where it belongs....didn't know there were placement rules when it comes to stamped cutlery �� Stamping on the handle or leaving the letters unblackened won't get the desired effect I'm after, I'm afraid. As long as I know it won't kill or poison anyone, that's ok Thanks.

I don't know that it wouldn't harm anyone, I know I wouldn't put it in my mouth which would be my rule for my customers.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    On the handle where it belongs....didn't know there were placement rules when it comes to stamped cutlery �� Stamping on the handle or leaving the letters unblackened won't get the desired effect I'm after, I'm afraid. As long as I know it won't kill or poison anyone, that's ok Thanks.
    Not so much 'rules', more 'common-sense'.

It won't be the oxidised silver that is at issue since this is relatively inert.

First, we're presuming that you've cleaned out all of the oxidising chems; then it just remains to be a crevice for anything to try and hide throughout your attempts to clean it after a meal and before the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Not so much 'rules', more 'common-sense'.

It won't be the oxidised silver that is at issue since this is relatively inert.

First, we're presuming that you've cleaned out all of the oxidising chems; then it just remains to be a crevice for anything to try and hide throughout your attempts to clean it after a meal and before the next one.
    Wow, was I ever sorry I asked a simple question. I have plenty of common sense, thank you. For what I was planning the stamped wording would have to go on the parts of the cutlery which are put into mouths or touch food. Thanks anyway.