Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench Drills and Handpieces.

Default Bench Drills and Handpieces.

Hi everyone. I've been pouring over old threads for a few days now & haven't quite managed to find what I'm looking for.

Has anyone got either the Proxon bench drill, or the Foredom set-up with the Foredom drill press and #30 handpiece.
    Would you recommend one over another for any reason?

The Proxon drill is cheaperand specifically built for the job, but not sure if getting the Foredom #30 handpiece would be useful for other things as it would mean I wouldn't have to stick to 2.35mm burrs (if I've understood that correctly)?

On another note, does anyone own a Foredom No. 15 Hammer Handpiece? Is it especially useful?

Thank you in advance.

H 30 takes up about 4mm, extremely useful I would not be with out it, same with the 15 hammer hand piece, useful for setting thick bezels texturing and many other uses,the hammer hand piece must be run at a slower seed so you need to be gentle with the foot.

Thank you So potentially I could use it with all my old Dremel bits that have been sitting around collecting dust?

Would you say the hammer handpiece is useful for other types of setting?

Yes on both counts, only thing with the hammer handpiece is to practice on something first to get a feel of it.

I have the Proxxon bench drill and for precision drilling I would recommend it. It's really neat and doesn't take up much room and is one of the most useful pieces I've ever bought. The only thing I have a problem with is the drill vice that can be bought as an extra. The bar on the stand stops it from moving back to front but there is nothing to fix it from moving left to right so you have to hold onto the vice. Also buy the universal drill bit that's also available as an extra

Hi Caroline. Thank you for replying

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to buy the Proxon and getting the #30 handpiece separately - Just because burrs in other sizes are easier to pick up locally, rather than having to buy 2.35mm ones online all the time.

What do you find you mostly use the Proxon for? Do you think it is better than setting the pendant motor up as a drill?

Before I got my proxxon, I used to use a #30 with the press attachment, and ended up hating it, mainly because of the constant faffing around changing handpieces, clamping and unclamping, and managing the surprisingly cumbersome press. I also found that it wasn't very stable unless screwed or clamped to the bench as it's rather top heavy.

The proxxon, on the other hand, I absolutely love, and it's never let me down. As Caroline says, it would be greatly improved by a better vice/clamp, but the only ones I've ever found were so ridiculously expensive that I laughed out loud.

That said, I wouldn't be without a #30 for taking odd size bits, burrs and mandrels. I also love my hammer handpiece, though I have to admit to using it less often than I should as it still scares the wits out of me when it starts up!

Hi George. Nice to "see" everyone

This definitely makes my decision easier (been getting increasingly confused for a few days now).

I might get my Dad to look at the vice next time he visits. He usually comes up with something.

What do you find you use the hammer handpiece for? I'm struggling to find video examples of anyone using it for jewellery making, even though they sell it as being "'Great for stone-settingengraving and texturing".

I think for drilling it's the most precise but then I used an Archimedes for decades so it's like night and day. It's quick and easy and the universal chuck Dennis suggested is much easier than the little interchangeable ones that come with it.
    I only recently got a Foredom micromotor so don't have experience of a pendant since college but I would go for the Proxxon if you can afford it, in the end it's what suits your needs best

The hammer handpiece can be used to set bezels don't need as much muscle power I find I only use it for thick bezels also can be used for setting prongs also for picking up points and beads,, to a certain extent can be used for graving, although there are much more suited devices around, it is great for texturing you can grind the points to suit