Thread: Filigree ring

Default Filigree ring

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to make similar ring like in the picture. Everything goes well, bezel is done, beaded and filigree wire is ready. Band of the ring is the main problem. As you can see there are three types of wires, round, beaded and filigree in the middle. I do not know how and where to start soldering it and what solder to use (soldering paste or to make powdered solder). It is extremely difficult to hold the wires in place and not to leave any gaps. Wire is 0,5mm fine silver.
    Your help will be very much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	551.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	8941

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am trying to make similar ring like in the picture. Everything goes well, bezel is done, beaded and filigree wire is ready. Band of the ring is the main problem. As you can see there are three types of wires, round, beaded and filigree in the middle. I do not know how and where to start soldering it and what solder to use (soldering paste or to make powdered solder). It is extremely difficult to hold the wires in place and not to leave any gaps. Wire is 0,5mm fine silver.
    Your help will be very much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	551.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	8941
    It is very easy holding the wires using (POP) Plaster of Paris for soldering. First make a strait strip using POP, than make a round ring before fixing it with the stone holder.

Jasdir.
    Jewelry for today's world,
    Whereby, style following the pattern of traditional world !

Dear Victor,
    As confirmed by Jasdir, a fancy band or shank is best prepared in the flat and later rounded. This can often be done with your fingers around a mandrel, or ring stick.

If you are unfamiliar with the use of plaster, or soldering investment, you can do a good job with pins, strategically pushed into your soldering block. A piece of vermiculite fire brick, sourced on line is softer for inserting pins. You can also draw some parallel lines on it to guide you.

I would avoid paste, but once well fluxed distribute tiny hard solder pallions where required. Traditional filigree artisans also use solder powder made by filing it with a coarse file, which is then sprinkled on.

If you are wise, you will practice with a cheaper metal first.Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdir Singh Jaura View Post
    It is very easy holding the wires using (POP) Plaster of Paris for soldering. First make a strait strip using POP, than make a round ring before fixing it with the stone holder.

Jasdir.
    Thank you for reply. Will try plaster in the future, I have managed to solder the strip using fine steel wires. Thank you once again!