Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mens Rings

Default Mens Rings

Hi, I would like to make a couple different mens rings and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good reference or books with step by step instructions I can follow?

Most beginners books describe how to make a simple ring, or you can join a class. But there will be a fairly long learning period and quite a few tools to buy.

A simple way out is to buy a tube of wax sold for this purpose and carve it to shape using such tools as you already have or can improvise. There are also books on doing this. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ry=Casting+wax

All you will waste in your experiments is a heap of useless carvings, but once you have made what you want, it can be sent out for casting and finishing. Dennis.

If you are interested in trying home casting a man's ring have a look at this video;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6hiF2LB5s

I used this cuttlefish casting method making this silver ring. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	334 Silver ring cast in cuttlefish.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	8940

James

Default Mens Rings

Thanks, I follow this Italian guy called scaffoal on YouTube and I've been able to imitate one of the pieces he made. I have the ring made and I was trying to set an emerald cut garnet (rub over) but I burred the setting apart trying to get it thin enough to push it over. Luckily the ring is still in tact so I just filed it down so I can start over again. Wish I could send you a pic so you know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mh159; 14-05-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Default Mens Rings

I've seen a similar version of that ring made by hand. It's like two pieces that are cut out and then soldered together to make the frame. I'm interested casting too however I haven't looking into the equipment. I bought a flexshaft and a torch and some setting tools and files and just making things out of silver for now

Last edited by mh159; 14-05-2016 at 08:45 AM.

I can post photos now. Here's what I'm working on. I'll take another photo after I make the setting

And here's the stone. Still not sure how to set it

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    If you are interested in trying home casting a man's ring have a look at this video;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6hiF2LB5s

I used this cuttlefish casting method making this silver ring. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	334 Silver ring cast in cuttlefish.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	8940

James
    Thanks for this James . I have made a signet ring but it was very hard to do but this I can

I switched the garnet with a lead glass filled ruby that is a little smaller so it doesn't look so weird. I cut a little frame for it and will cut a seat so I can push it over