Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mens Rings

You can also bezel set square stones, a simple method is to just make a bezel that fits the stone, solder it on the ring shank and cut a V in each corner with a three square needle file which makes setting a square stone easier. Like this one I made for a friend. The shank one was made from a carved Ferris ring wax;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...FQ0SGwodPUwCgw , then cast, polished and set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164e DJW topaz ring.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	8948

James

so basic shopping list to start casting is wax, wax carving tools, cuttlefish or delft clay and rings for cast and metal to cast. Would a scorifier and a blowtorch be sufficient for melting gold and/or silver for casting? Have I missed anything?

[QUOTE=Ceri;87779]Would a scorifier and a blowtorch be sufficient for melting gold and/or silver for casting? QUOTE]
    Just watched the video James put up. Probably should have watched it before asking!

Hi Ceri,

You'll also need a homemade soldering / casting station ( blocks or bricks ) to deflect and direct the heat when casting metal if you're using a blowtorch and a scorifier. It'll also prevent you from setting your workshop alight!

Then you'll need some borax powder to sprinkle into the molten metal which will help purify it for casting. If you're using a brand new scorifier then dont forget to subject it to heat along with borax powder before hand in order to 'condition' it and glaze it before attempting to melt metal, and of course use a seperate scorifier for each metal you use ( i.e. one for silver, one for gold, etc ).

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    You can also bezel set square stones, a simple method is to just make a bezel that fits the stone, solder it on the ring shank and cut a V in each corner with a three square needle file which makes setting a square stone easier. Like this one I made for a friend. The shank one was made from a carved Ferris ring wax;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...FQ0SGwodPUwCgw , then cast, polished and set.

James
    Thanks James. I wasn't aware that cutting a V with three square needle file made it easier. This was the first bezel setting I ever did and it turned out kinda messy. Having fun though. It's so much fun being creative and making things. I haven't actually created anything or practiced art since I was in primary school. I eventually would Like to make a website to sell my finished pieces on but just having fun for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post

James
    BTW that is a beautiful topaz ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk