Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to remove pearls set in araldite

Default best way to remove pearls set in araldite

I have before gently heated with success but its not always worth the risk! Is there anything I can soak it in to ease out?

The risk of using chemical solvents is far greater.

I have done it occasionally for a repair, when it was of my own making. Keep hold of the pearl with a wet tissue, and keep the metal under tension with tweezers.

Heat the metal gently with a small bushy flame of the mini-torch until the two part company. Most of the glue comes out on the metal spike, so the hole in the pearl just needs a gentle drilling.

Do it in semi darkness, so that you can be sure the flame does not touch the pearl. Be sure to keep hold, or one part will fly away.

Oh and let us know how you got on. Dennis.

Laser. Use a low power setting to get heat in underneath the pearl pin, just enough to soften the adhesive. No flame spill, no overheating.
    I don't know that a PUK can do this, but the laser definitely can. Whether it's worth it is another matter.

Noooooooooooooooo
    the easiest and most successful way is to get to a hardware shop which stocks it and get a bottle of the liquid which releases superglue. It will work on araldite type glues too but takes longer.Useful stuff to have around, and next time use gel superglue to set the pearl. Then removing takes seconds with the liquid
    Do not twist the pearl while you are trying to remove it as you will simply break the pin.
    Be sure to remove all traces of the old glue from the pin, the item and from inside the pearl before re-setting. A (old and blunt) 0.7 drill bit will clean out the drill hole in the pearl
    Last edited by pearlescence; 05-05-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Yeeeeeees

Zappy lightshow beats nasty VOCs

Although if someone's used peg & wedge to secure it none of the above are going to help you.

I have friend in Over your part of the world who assures me that a product called "Nitromors" will break the bond it is apparently paint stripper, I have no Idea what it would do to the pearl

Dichloromethane. Vile stuff.

(Added - OK, so it hasn't been in the formulation since 2011 - which perhaps shows it's been a while since I last used the stuff...)
    Last edited by ps_bond; 05-05-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Why use an unknown when a known will work, China?
    If someone's used a peg with a wedge it may be the only way to remove it is to break it off at the peg base, drill out the peg and make a new peg.
    Is the pearl worth it?
    If it is a cultured freshwater or even a low quality Tahitian or akoya (more than five years old) the answer is probably no. I can probably supply a new and better (other pearl suppliers also exist)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I was not advocating it's use I was just passing on a suggestion, Personally I would most likely remake the item

to give you a better idea its a pair of handmade earrings in 18ct white gold with a ruby & diamond cluster and a pearl drop hanging from them, the pearls are quite large, the job was given to a setter and he was advised to glue the pearls to finish it off but has done so with the worst areas of the pearls on show at the front (pits etc) they were trying to save time as i was off for a few days but are unhappy with it hence wanting to try again! The pegs don't have wedges