Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used bezel setting/claw closing stake tools?

Default Anyone used bezel setting/claw closing stake tools?

I have been looking at these for a while and im wondering whether its worth a go? Cooksons have one...

https://www.cooksongold.com/product_...ix=271&item=19

theres also a cheaper version which is likely to be lower quality from cousins but wondering if its worth a try to see how I get on with it?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...ing?code=B8342

Or if both are a waste of time id be interested to hear how you got on with them

I have a set. All they get used for is pave layout.
    Never found them to be effective on either bezel or claw, TBH.

I have used them for bezel setting round diamonds in tube settings in the past, although I used my small arbor bench press fitted with the setting tools for closing the bezels. I was making this Jordanian regalia at the time. The setting tools saved a lot of time, if you do get them keep the insides well polished and the won't mark the bezels, I used a small felt bur in my pendant drill to polish the insides. The last photo shows my arbor press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027 Order of al-Hussein ibn Ali. 04,83.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	8934 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027b Queens Qilidat alHussein ibn Ali. 1982.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	8935 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027b Queens + Jordanian badges 2. 1982 (1).jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	8936 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	419 Arbor press.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	8938

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 171- Jims workshop.jpg  
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 11-05-2016 at 12:53 PM.

As James has confirmed, they need too much force to close collets by hand and their original intention was for closing claws, I think.

The second problem is that the boxed sets are invariably too shallow to use with cabochons, so you really need deeper ones as below. I use them after collet and tube setting to make them truly round. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet Closing Set.jpg  

I would mostly be using them for bezel setting if i were to get them, 90% of the time i use faceted stones, so i may get the cheapy ones to try them out

If you buy the cheap ones you will most likely have to polish them,

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    I would mostly be using them for bezel setting if i were to get them, 90% of the time i use faceted stones, so i may get the cheapy ones to try them out
    I've tried them for bezel setting and don't like them at all; you have to use quite a lot of force when using them by hand, which could be disastrous for your stone. For closing bezels I either do it with a small punch and hammer or use an ersatz hammer-action handpiece in the shape of a Dremel engraver. It's noisy and a bit crude, but effective.

The hammer action handpiece seems like the way to go. I have been told to learn how to do it by hand first. I have a bezel pusher and with metal 0.5 thick it seems to be OK however 1.0 and above is impossible and I worry about ruining the setting if I burr it to thin. Is it possible to tap the bezel pusher with a hammer?

I have the cheap set and while they will need polishing (ridges inside) I have no problems using them by hand. Slightly harder on gold than silver though!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hart View Post
    Is it possible to tap the bezel pusher with a hammer?
    Yes, but instead of using the hammer directly, you use a setting punch, which is a bezel pusher, but with the handle removed. The other side should rest against a firm bench peg, or your bezel and base will part company. This works particularly well for very large bezels, which quickly become too hard to push by hand.

The problem is that its difficult to hold your piece steady while wielding a punch and a hammer. If you are lucky you can get an apprentice to do the tapping, while you move the punch along. Dennis.