Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble melting just the solder !!

Default Trouble melting just the solder !!

Hi !!

I had a go at soldering some Silver today, just little circles together...I think they are "Join Rings" but the problem I have is I kept melting the rings !!

I did manage to solder a few join rings together but when I turn the gas gun off then turn it back on(And add the oxygen) I keep putting to much heat and the join rings turn into melted blobby blobs !!

So, is there an adapter or a whole gas gun that I can buy that will allow me to only use enough gas to melt the solder and not the join ring ? If so, can you recommend any brands please ?

TTFN

What torch are you using, and does it have different sized burners/nozzles you can fit to it?

Hi Aquarius :-)

Thanks for the reply...Will it be ok if I reply here tomorrow with the answer ? I can also add a photo as well if that helps

Thank you and TTFN

I guess you are talking about jump rings. They need to be heated with a soft bushy flame, that just brings them up to soldering temperature.

If you do that in a darkened area, you will be able to see more easily when your work is getting too hot.

While learning to adjust and control the torch you have, you might like to splash out on a re-fillable minitorch, which can be adjusted by closing the air intake.

It is also better to practice with copper wire, so as to save on silver. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held MiniTorch new.jpg  

Another way: I usually place my rings on the charcoal block and gradually bring in the torch so the block heats, transferring heat to the place where the solder is required, then moving the torch nearer the ring which should melt the solder and complete the join.
    Are you fluxing adequately? Which solder are you using? Perhaps it is dirty? Are you using tiny pieces?
    Pick soldering is a good way to solder small rings.
    I often use my mini torch for rings because it has a small nozzle.

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to attach some prongs on to a ring and the solder just balls up and won't liquefy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When soldering please remember that you have to heat the metal up to the solder flowing temperature before heating the solder, if your solder is just balling up then it is obvious that you are heating the solder rather than the metal you wish to solder. Play the flame away from the solder until you are certain that the metal is close to the solder flow temperature. Always make sure that soldering surfaces are clean, tight fitting and fluxed before starting to heat with a torch. It is also wise to clean the solder also, I just use a small scraper for cleaning solder an surfaces.

James

Here's are the things that work for me;
    1.) When you swear you are doing everything correctly, stop and lightly sand and flux a small piece of scrap. Put a small chip of solder on the fluxed scrap and gently heat the entire piece; only when you believe it is up to flow temperature direct the flame to the solder, if necessary. If the solder flows then you know the problem is not the solder. Try again a few times until you are dancing a happy dance because your solder flows.

2.) It may be urban myth, but I believe you can burn out the flux if you heat your metal for too long. That can also happen if you are concentrating on heating the area with the solder too soon; especially with too much heat. There's a balance between not enough heat and too much heat. Someone who can show you is fabulous. Youtube videos can be helpful, but really practice is the best teacher.

3.) As Dennis said use a bushy, soft flame and not an intense pointy one ... you are not spot welding. Wire (jump rings, prongs, whatever) heat to flow temperature very quickly. I've never managed to melt a jump ring (can't say the same about bezels), but I have managed to end up with a little ball of solder on the join when I don't follow my own advice.
    Last edited by Stacey; 10-05-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    What torch are you using, and does it have different sized burners/nozzles you can fit to it?
    Hi !!

I've been trying to attach some pics of the torch I use but they won't attach...they come up with a red box with an X in it...How can I do attach pics ?

TTFN

You press Reply, Go Advanced, and use the paperclip symbol as for emails. Dennis.