Thread: Glass Kiln Gloves for Enamelling

Default Glass Kiln Gloves for Enamelling

Hi

Had my first go at enamelling...all I can say is I need much more practice. 1st coat in for way tooo long, second coat not quite long enough so once I can acheive a nice flat/smooth finish I will then move on to the heady heights of 2 colours

I am using a Paragon SC3 kiln

My question is what are the best/best value for money safety gloves to use for moving work in and out of the kiln. All the gloves I have found say rated for 350C. Obviously I am not picking up the work directly from the kiln am using a fork but the radiant heat is incredible.

Also what are the best tools for putting the trivets into the kiln (I assume there is a whole range of differing tools that can be re-purposed for this). The fork I have is too big for my only trivet and a bbq fork isnt really wide enough.

On the gloves side, I use a pair of Kevlar gloves when I'm messing with things in the kiln - think it was these: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/pers.../p/MRG9611822H

Not touching the hot stuff directly, so they don't need to be rated higher.

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/perso...sistant/410308 have some interesting ones for more arduous heat resistance too. Quite like the look of the foundry heatbeater for use when pouring molten metal.

They look good and would find it hard to loose them with the colour. Those Foundry Heatbeaters look very Medievil and would look our of place with a suit of Armour

You'd be surprised how often I manage to misplace one glove, even with the bright yellow... A cheaper option would be welding gauntlets. The Heatbeaters I'd only bother with for some serious heat output from whatever I was working on - wouldn't bother around a forge, for example.

You could try Cherry Heaven Kilns. The website isn't great to find your way around, but if you give them a call, they're usually helpful.