Thread: Milbro cable replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Milbro cable replacement

Hi

Does anyone know how to replace a cable on a Milbro pendant drill with a fixed handpiece? I can't seem to disconnect the cable at the handpiece end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know how to replace a cable on a Milbro pendant drill with a fixed handpiece? I can't seem to disconnect the cable at the handpiece end.

Thanks
    Could you show us a photo of the handpiece end of your new inner cable? Is it threaded, or does it just have flats on it? If the latter, it will be a push fit, I imagine. Either way, a photo would help.

Thanks Aurarius.

I haven't actually bought the new one yet as I want to get the old one off first if possible.

Looking at Cookson's photo it is not that clear but it looks as though one end is threaded and one isn't. So I guess the threaded end is the motor connection and as you say the other end is push fit. I have tried pulling it but with no luck, is there a knack to this or should I just pull harder?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails handpiece.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Thanks Aurarius.

I haven't actually bought the new one yet as I want to get the old one off first if possible.

Looking at Cookson's photo it is not that clear but it looks as though one end is threaded and one isn't. So I guess the threaded end is the motor connection and as you say the other end is push fit. I have tried pulling it but with no luck, is there a knack to this or should I just pull harder?
    I'd want to get a close view of the anatomy of the whole cable really (i.e. both ends of a new one) before deciding how to extract it. A firmer tug might be worth a try in the meantime and should do no harm as long as you're using just your hands, not pliers et al. It does look as if it may be just a push fit but you never know. You could ease the extraction process by squirting some GT85 (or similar releasing fluid) down into the handpiece first.

Just out of interest, what performance problems were you experiencing that told you you need to replace the inner cable? I take it the existing one has been regularly lubricated?

That's the problem, I hadn't lubricated it properly and it's rusting. I have had this motor for around 25 years but never really been sure how or where to lubricate it. The instructions that came with it didn't cover this and the cable seemed difficult to access. So I have to own up to not caring for it but am surprised I got away with it for so long. Some time ago I ordered a cable from Cooksons hoping it would come with some instructions but it didn't so I returned it. At the time Cooksons said they would try to find out for me but didn't come back.

I have had another go at pulling it out but it doesn't seem to move.

I also have a Foredom which is no problem and there is no shortage of information out there to help. There seems to be nothing on the Milbro.

There are various videos and sites worth a look here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ho...DMvS8Aej26mIBw

Dennis.