Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magazine advertising

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    I've tried all sorts of adverts in jewellery magazines and this was a different approach for me - and probably my last. I've always found magazine advertising to be a very poor return on investment. This one (or the watered down one that was accepted I should say, was a full page, inside back cover position and I had 3 calls from it.
    Oh wow that really isnt worth it! But you certaint never cease to amaze me with what tyou come up with lmao
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Not my cup of tea but I'm sure there are loads of men it would appeal to.

I had some free advertising in The Lady (where they most certainly wouldn't like your ad!). It went into two editions and I had 3 orders from it. Thank God I didn't pay for it.

I'm also getting some editorial in a magazine because we did a barter for some jewellery. Looking forward to seeing it, but not expecting any direct sales.

I'm also getting some editorial in a magazine
    That's your best type of advert - editorial. Very few adverts actually get looked at but the editorial gets read. The publishers know this and that's why they charge more for an 'advertorial' even though it is taking up the same amount of space. Plus editorial is usually free or provided as an add on if you place a decent advert.

I have heard magazine advertising is not really worth it a few times, for jewellery anyway. Out of interest where else do you advertise, are there any better places in your opinion?
    Lucinda

The best way is to get out there and let people see your work in other parts of the country. I also think getting into the Craft and Design magazine raises your profile.

where else do you advertise
    I don't - I'm very anti-advertising. Don't get me wrong advertising can work but you need to test so many different approaches to find one that does that it can eat up all your money.

I much prefer internet marketing, direct mail and phone calls.

Direct mail and phone calls are the most soul destroying though - you can make dozens of calls and send hundreds of letters before you get a positive response - I couldn't be a sales rep for a living, I'd be slitting my throat after 3 months.

I'd be slitting my throat after 3 months.
    I'm not the only one either, apparently incidents of suicide have increased in countries such as India, where companies have set up cheap sales call centres - you know the type that ring you late at night to sell you mobile phones or to change your gas supplier - easy pickings to take the 'P' out of they are.

Yeah, I am not sure I could cope with sales rep type activities, like the phone calling. I did some telemarketing once, when I was at Uni as a temp job and I walked out after three days. If it wasn't the people on the end of the phone having a go, it was the supervisors!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    The best way is to get out there and let people see your work in other parts of the country. I also think getting into the Craft and Design magazine raises your profile.
    My plan, in the new year is to get a brochure/portfolio together with a cover letter and send it out to lots of galleries or places theat look like they may be interested. Not sure of that's the usual way of doing it though!
    Lucinda

Hmm, OK the advert isn't bad in terms of sex (remember the Opium ad with Sophie Dahl) but (and thats not BUTT ha ha ha, but it is a big one) I am struggling to find the product relevance. There is far too much info on here- too cluttered and confusing. (Sorry you didn't ask for a crit so I'll shut up).
    Advertising is pretty poor (and expensive), that's why everyone wants editorial. I have a friend whose jewellery has been in vogue several times (editorial) but she hasn't really got anything from it. And her stuff is wonderful and sells well!
    Em

PS I like the boots too (sans rhinestones).

It's not easy to photograph yourself in that position you know and I was trapped for hours with my heel in my thong - got pins and needles in the end