Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half drilling

Default Half drilling

Is there a way I can half drill or full drill Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rough-300x175.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	8913lumps of rough ruby and amethyst so they can take a post for setting, rather than having to construct some sort of collet or other setting? These are lumps about the size of fingernails which are destined for earrings with (of course) pearl drops underneath.
    I had a bit of a rush of blood and bought them last march in Hong Kong - sorting through washing up bowls of small rough lumps to the amusement of the stand staff who said 'we usually sell by kilo weight, not selection' as I ended up with two piece of ruby.
    The plan is hook ear wire + ruby + big drop pearl
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

You can use a diamond drill in a pendant drill. Lubricate and cool with water - drill for a few seconds, stop, syringe water, drill for a few seconds, etc etc. Do not force the drill, be gentle and only drill for a few seconds each time - otherwise drill may overheat and crack the stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Sounds similar to how I drilled glass when I had an attack of tumbled 'sea' glass a few years ago..yes?
    Thanks Barry
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

If you have drill press you can clamp the item in a suitable vice and place in a container of water and drill under water using a diamond drill, common method of drilling Opal

Nothing so sophisticated. Pearls don't need that sort of drill
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I had a go at drilling sea glass, didnt work very well so decided to keep it in a jamjar on the kitchen window cill. I have wire wrapped a couple of bits but would prefer to have a hole in it.

I got a bit of a production line going - put a piece of wood into the bottom of a chinese food container and put water in just to cover the wood, then drilled the glass through and into the wood. Used a pendant drill with a circuit breaker because of the water and it went pretty well.
    Did you use real sea glass or tumbled (I had lots of coloured bits from making lampshades and stuff) I walked for miles along the beach here where I lived and found zilch. Suspect a lot of the sea glass is actually just tumbled.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I found it on Exmouth beach where we walk the dogs. When the tide is right it's a lovely walk, and two of our three love swimming, the other one likes running and playing in the shallows.

The real thing! There is so much 'sea glass' around that some at least must be suspect. I knew someone who did glass art who claimed to find it on the beach to customers but I know it was tumbled scrap shards
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

We don't find much, just the odd bit. Most of it is green, but I have found a light blue and a dark blue bit. You can only wire wrap it really and make a pendant.