Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2016 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Hi

James,
    another wonderful piece from you, as always! Probably a very silly basic question, but how did you get the 'reeded' effect for the background? I'd love to know, it looks great.
    Hi Joella,
    That pattern is cut using a line tool scorper, which is a scorper that has parallel lines cut into it's flat cutting face. Some sellers call them shading tools in their graver section.

This is a new one from my tool box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	383 Grobet Vallorbe, line tool, scorper.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	8958 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	383a Grobet Vallorbe.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	8959

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 18-05-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Oooh thanks James, yet another tool to covet, and once bought spend a lot of time practicing with! I'm still struggling to control a scorper well enough to raise a grain for setting little stones, but practice is everything - and bits of copper to practice on are never a waste of time. So many things to learn, there will never be enough time for them all, but what a wonderful challenge.

Lovely entries this month

Wallace, that insect hotel is just adorable!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Lovely entries this month

Wallace, that insect hotel is just adorable!
    there are some fab entries this month Thank you very much Lauren - I love insect and leaf things

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Hi

Wallace,
    That is just delicious! What size is it?
    thank you very much. It is roughly the size of a 50p piece (not including the bale) the body is approx. 6mm wide and the roof is approx. 8mm wide. The butterfly's wings are approx. 8mm by 4mm, made separately and then soldered on to a wire body. The ladybird is 3.1mmby 1.7mm. The CZ and Amethyst stones are 1.5mm and the Tanzanite are 1.2mm

lovely stuff! Wallace, too cute by far! :-) I've got two possible entries this month, am going to have to wait until second one is finished completely next week to make my mind up!

I love your Insect Hotel, Wallace! I'm part way through my entry for this month and feel like throwing in the towel... but I'll persevere...
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    such great things to see this month - will be a difficult thing to decide, I am sure.

I am entering this piece - it has yellow gold CZ and a 9ct yellow gold butterfly. I don't have much gold in stock and am reluctant to melt an old ring! So, the little bit I have I cut out some wings and snipped off a little wire. The Insect Hotel is a miniature of something I love in the garden; a Hibernaculum places for Ladybirds finding horizontal openings to sneak into, Butterflies accessing Long vertical ones (makes sense as they don't take their wings off when the go indoors ) they offer solitary bees a place to investigate and create some small cells, and earwigs just love anywhere tunnelling and dark.

Attachment 8957

Wow!! I just wanted to say that but it said it was too short and I had to type 10 characters! So Wow again !

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn.D View Post
    Wow!! I just wanted to say that but it said it was too short and I had to type 10 characters! So Wow again !
    Lol very many thanks Lynn.

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I love your Insect Hotel, Wallace! I'm part way through my entry for this month and feel like throwing in the towel... but I'll persevere...
    Alan
    thank you Alan, that is good, don't give in. Looking forward to seeing your piece later

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    lovely stuff! Wallace, too cute by far! :-) I've got two possible entries this month, am going to have to wait until second one is finished completely next week to make my mind up!
    . Aww, thanks Lydia. Oooh it will be totally wonderful, whichever you go for. Can't wait to see it.

Hi all,

Just a gentle reminder that you only have until midnight next Tuesday 31st May to submit your entries to our golden themed competition!

Best of luck to all

Jen

Beautiful entries from everybody but OMG Wallace! that insect hotel is awesome!