Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2016 - Gold

Hi, great entries so far. Here's my contribution, a customer wanted something made from her late mothers gold, we came up with this design as she wanted quite a large statement piece and wanted an owl pendant, but to make it more special we thought we would make a little home for it and put it in a nice decorative cage ��
    I loved making the cage as it was a bit more unusual from the run of the mill bangles and wedding rings that I usually spend my day making. I also made the small flower and key decorations just to make it look a bit more special and interesting, the cage door also opens and I set a small secret diamond underneath. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	8972
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	8972Click image for larger version. 

Views:	59 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	8973Click image for larger version. 

Views:	54 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	8974
    Last edited by mikethejeweller; 24-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Theresa, I made the settings from white gold tube and filed them to fit the ring band, the central 18ct yellow band is only 0.70mm. thick so the wires soldered at each edge make it seem a thicker ring and is quite comfortable to wear, I made my daughter this similar ring a few years ago. The design is based on an old design by Leo De Vroomen, see;http://www.devroomen.co.uk/ he is a jeweller who I have made work for in the past.

This is my daughter's ring with gold beads soldered on the band and set with blue topaz;
    Attachment 8952

James
    Love that blue topaz ring James, nice clean work

That's so pretty Mike!

Wow! The little insect hotel and tiny owl cage are just perfect. The photographs are both excellent too

That's a Wow from me too, loving the detail of your owl in a cage, with its opening door etc. and the detail on base, so charming.

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    That's a Wow from me too, loving the detail of your owl in a cage, with its opening door etc. and the detail on base, so charming.
    Thanks all, I'm usually quite critical of my work but I was really happy with the end product and it was challenging yet enjoyable to make. Good luck everyone, great entries as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Another one here who's usually far too introverted to show you guys anything, but here we go
    Not the most exciting, but it meant the world to the customer.Attachment 8912
    Brother and sister fingerprint necklace cast in 18ct gold, set with an aquamarine and engraved with their names on the back. Aabout the size of a 50 pence piece.
    This one was a pressie for Grandma in Africa
    Hi Lucie, I have had a couple of customers asking me to do fingerprint jewellery in gold, I know you can get the pic clay in 22ct but it's really expensive. How did you manage to do this heart? Did you make it in silver first then cast it?? The detail of the print is really good, I thought a lot of the detail might of been lost when re casting it. I only have the delft clay to do casting, what system did you use? Sorry for all the questions it's just I haven't seen many made in gold and I'd love to make something similar. Thanks again and great work Mike

Scraps and Rubies...
    A rather odd pair of earrings - 18ct gold - red (thin sheet and little bits of wire) and yellow (wire, flattened and textured) - all scrap bits left over from other projects, with a couple of small cab rubies (or pink sapphires?) that I picked up in Sri Lanka. The joins are riveted, then fixed/strengthened with a bit of solder. The earwires are, for now, silver as I didn't have suitable scrap handy in gold. The bezels are not finished as I might take them apart again to try to alter/improve them... Far from perfect, but glad to have got something in before the deadline.

Name:	P1320752.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	8991 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1320753.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	8992

Alan

Default Theme Competition May 2016 - Gold

I made these earrings for a customer by melting down some old gold - spare links from a bracelet etc. Relatively simple but effective it was tricky to get them to match though!

Charlotte

I picked this as my entry as thought it came at gold use from a slightly different angle (the other two both used 18ct gold).
    It's a necklace with a feature clasp, (I think I secretly like making oversized chain now) with two checkerboard cut quartz cabs. I used a little keum-boo inside both settings, then the whole piece was oxidised, the cabs set, and then I scrubbed back some of the oxidation with a fine grade emery stick. The pics are downloaded straight off my phone, so hopefully will display ok! Think they should display larger if you click on them.

Name:	NECK.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	8997

Name:	NECK1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	8996

Name:	NECK2.jpg