Thread: setting hair in resin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default setting hair in resin

Hi, long time since i last posted, but i do come visit from time to time, i'm having trouble finding an answer in the posts so could really use a bit of advice please.
    The time has come where i need to set human hair in a pendant, although the hair will be under a set cabochon i'm not sure if gluing would damage the hair over time, and also, if the glue dis-colours it would spoil the true colour of the gemstone, (i don't normally use glue to set stones) so was thinking resin?
    But i'd need it to stay clear and not go an off colour, could you possibly point me in the right direction please.
    Thank you x
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Hi, The problem of setting hair in resin, is that it is difficult to keep the resin clear (not slightly milky) and free of bubbles.

If I were doing this, I would study the use of clear resin in depth, possibly from a book,and then pour into a domed mould to create a cabochon, with the hair at the very bottom. It would take several experiments.

A quicker way might be to search for a clear cabochon, for instance here http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/...Cabochons.html
    to set in silver and simply to trap some hair underneath it.

Whatever the answer, we would all like to see the result. Dennis.

Hi Dennis, thank you for your reply and the link.
    Yes i think you are right if it goes milky or bubbly it wouldn't look nice if it was on show, I'm putting the hair under a blue Lace agate or Amazonite cab, not 100 percent decided yet which to go for, I don't mind if the hair is not on show, just need to keep it in there and protected, with the blue lace agate i think there is more chance of colour showing through, (not sure the girls will want that) so possibly using amazonite as it's a more solid colour.
    Yes i'd love to show you when it's done, nothing amazing but something that's a keepsake.
    Time for google me thinks :-)
    Thanks again Dennis.

I've used horse and human hair in resin with no problem as long as you keep an eye on it as it's curing.
    You could cut a shape in the reverse of the setting so the hair showed through behind the cab?
    This is one of the human hair ones - difficult to see but the hair had no bubbling, and was quite pretty! The bubbles were deliberate on the left. It was about a boy named Peter - his first word was bubbles, his nickname is Pi and the stone is Pietersite
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	560811_578015778913847_301999387_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	8899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1395999_578015755580516_1674090165_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	8900

I do quite a few items with hair or ashes in resin, IME its using the right type of resin thats important.
    I find the one Cookies sell works great for me.
    http://www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk/a1-...sp?roomID=7575

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I do quite a few items with hair or ashes in resin, IME its using the right type of resin thats important.
    I find the one Cookies sell works great for me.
    http://www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk/a1-...sp?roomID=7575
    Thank you enigma,

I've just finished the items i was making, they are for my family, so i went with using Amazonite cabochon over the hair, can't see the hair which i don't mind as i know it's there, had to use a spot of glue to hold the hair, then once dried i wound it into the setting before adding the cab, i'll get a photo tomorrow so you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I've used horse and human hair in resin with no problem as long as you keep an eye on it as it's curing.
    You could cut a shape in the reverse of the setting so the hair showed through behind the cab?
    This is one of the human hair ones - difficult to see but the hair had no bubbling, and was quite pretty! The bubbles were deliberate on the left. It was about a boy named Peter - his first word was bubbles, his nickname is Pi and the stone is Pietersite
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	560811_578015778913847_301999387_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	8899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1395999_578015755580516_1674090165_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	8900
    Thanks Lydia, they look great, and a really good choice as it adds more to the meaning of the piece.
    how do you stop the clear from going off colour in say about 12 months time
    Last edited by Summer; 30-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.