Thread: polishing/cleaning durston dapping cube

Default polishing/cleaning durston dapping cube

Hi

Sorry not posted for a while and now I'm asking for your help

Just bought a "new" durston dapping set off fleabay (not from durston), which arrived in a durston box complete with grease covered parts in little bags and surrounded by packaging as if from durston itself. The punches are all fine - however the dapping cube which was covered in grease and wrapped in some sort of greaseproof paper is a dark colour and I wondered how best to clean/polish it to bring it back to gleaming. The actual recesses are fine - it's just the cube itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	8917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	8918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	8919

Sonia
    x

A wire brush attachment used in your pendant drill or micromotor should brighten up the body of the block a bit. I wouldn't worry about the discoloration where it is, personally; the condition of the working surfaces is the important thing.

Hello Sonia,
    It looks a bit as if you got a Chinese copy-quite a common happening. Not to worry, it will probably work fine and as Mark says, its the metal that counts, not the colour.
    All that set grease will probably dissolve in WD40, or any light oily spray. But then, I don't want to teach an experienced biker to suck eggs.
    Hope you are well, Dennis.

Hi Dennis and Aurarius

Thank you for your suggestions. It was in a genuine durston box and feels (and looks) like the real thing - it just looked like it had been stored for a while........ If it is a chinese copy durston need to be really worried.....

The grease came off relatively easy with wd40 - i just want the whole thing sparkly, so will try the wire brush suggestion.

Sonia
    xx

I hadn't got a wire one so have used a nylon and a bit of solvol autosol - i think another polish when my pendant has cooled down and it will be gleaming......

Then I just have to use it lol

oh - double checked the box and it def seemed like a genuine durston one - there is a slight dink in one of the cube edges - nothing that would affect it but maybe someone rejected it? always the optimist!

Sonia
    xx

The Chinese are very good at producing counterfeit items I was duped with a Foredom they copied everything even down to warenty papers the packaging the only
    give away was that the serial no was not correct I only found this out by contacting Blackstone

Looks a nice but of Kit

Good news. I've been in touch with the seller and he is sourcing the original receipt from Cooksons. It is durston but had just never been opened by him - he bought it and never got to use it.

Sonia