Thread: Name of a few tools

Default Name of a few tools

Hi !!

Can anyone tell me the name of these tools...I think they are "Snips" or "Top Snips".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0042.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	8879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0043.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	8880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0044.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	8881
    Another question about the other photo, I have been trying to solder a claw onto a ring but the tweezers don't keep the claw steady, the claws keep sliding down the gap between the holding arms....Is there a way to keep the claw steady using these tweezers or is there another type of tweezers that hold a claw steady as I try to attach it to the ring ?

TTFN :-)

Side cutters, end cutters, crosslock tweezers. Or at least that's how I'd refer to them. Snips to me are a type of shear.

You can file a notch between the tips of crosslock tweezers so they grip vertical wires in a more positive way if that helps?

Thank you PS...I'll start looking a few of these up, I want to start buying myself a few commonly used tools :-)

You confused me about the notch on the top of the crosslock tweezers ? iSN'T THERE ANOTHER TOOL TO HOLD VERY SMALL ITEMS STEADY ? i'M NOT SURE i CAN FILE THIS PAIR OF TWEEZERS AS THEY ARE NOT MINE

tHANK YOU SO FAR :-)

This explains what I mean - http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/earpost.htm
    They're cheap tools.

Side cutters aren't something I use very often and my end cutters are lever action more akin to a sprue cutter.

A simple way to hold small objects for soldering is to use surgical forceps, or haemostats. They are inexpensive and available from Maplin and Proops.

The teeth can be filed away to make them gentler, and once annealed by heating, they can also be bent open to accommodate thicker objects.

Be aware, that the handles will eventually get hot, so might have to be dunked in water with tweezers, before handling again.

Single wires can also be supported upright by sharpening and forcing into a soldering block with pliers. After soldering, the unwanted bit is snipped off. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Using The Hole in your block 2..jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    This explains what I mean - http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/earpost.htm
    They're cheap tools.
    Which provides liberal use of side cutters ...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Side cutters, end cutters, crosslock tweezers. Or at least that's how I'd refer to them. Snips to me are a type of shear.

You can file a notch between the tips of crosslock tweezers so they grip vertical wires in a more positive way if that helps?
    I call them cutters, tweezers, snippers etc. I guess depends on what side of the pond you grew up on eh?