Thread: The Bench issue 10

Default The Bench issue 10

Just started skimming the new edition and one thing has leapt out immediately:

In the tutorial -
    "Before you start work, protect yourself by putting on your Optivisor"

Optivisors are NOT safety glasses. They do not offer significant protection and should never be advocated as safety wear. They should be worn *with* safety glasses if there is a risk from flying debris/objects but they are not a substitute.

I second that a couple of years ago mate in Andamooka was cutting some opal only using a Optivisor the stone came off the dop stick result bruised cornear, six weeks to recover he was lucky

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Just started skimming the new edition and one thing has leapt out immediately:

In the tutorial -
    "Before you start work, protect yourself by putting on your Optivisor"

Optivisors are NOT safety glasses. They do not offer significant protection and should never be advocated as safety wear. They should be worn *with* safety glasses if there is a risk from flying debris/objects but they are not a substitute.
    That's so you can see it as it hits you in the eye:/ not sure how something 4ins from your eye is supposed to protect. Please not the safety specs go on before the optivisor and not on top!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Please not the safety specs go on before the optivisor and not on top!
    Ah, that'd be where I was going wrong then

I'm not a huge enthusiast of H&S at the best of times, but where it comes to giving people wrong (and dangerous) advice on PPE I can be a bit of a zealot. Not the only area, admittedly...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Ah, that'd be where I was going wrong then

I'm not a huge enthusiast of H&S at the best of times, but where it comes to giving people wrong (and dangerous) advice on PPE I can be a bit of a zealot. Not the only area, admittedly...
    You're not surely

When I was at College our lecturer wouldn't let us wear eye protection in the polishing booth because they would get dirty:/ there were 3 1/2 HP polishers in a row and a big bugger behind us for the silversmithing so there was a lot of stoor if they were all going even with extraction. The optrex in the first aid kit probably haven't been renewed since doomsday , when did you start having to renew it every 3 months over pondered recently? Having said that it might miraculously have been replaced by Hugh our technician who must have kept the tools and everything else shipshape without us even thinking about it, but I digress!

Protect yourself from what?
    I suppose an optivisor would afford some protection .....from eyestrain