Thread: Rolling Mill question

Default Rolling Mill question

Hi - does anyone know if the gauge on the top of the rolling mill should actually move? Mine never has and I can't see how to judge the thickness when rolling other than by eye/trial & error.
    Have tried asking Durston but their customer relations dept is very slow.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000365.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	8873

Yes? Too many variables to depend on it being an absolute gauge (if I dial in 0.75mm, it might not get all the way there - depends on initial thickness amongst other things), but it is a useful relative indicator.
    Can't see on the D4 without dismantling, but I'd assume from your photo it was a keyed shaft, possibly a Woodruff key. Which may not be there...

I have an old Durston with a much cruder gauge - provides a relative indicator as Peter says, with fine adjustment by eye/trial&error as you suggest, Theresa. However, I've just bought a basic feeler gauge for £2 on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361470448839 - which should help. (My old one, used for years on engine parts, seems to have disappeared.) It should allow measurements between 0.05 and 5.95mm in 0.05 increments - provided it's clean and the blades aren't bent or distorted, you can combine two or more blades to get the exact thickness you need.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I have an old Durston with a much cruder gauge - provides a relative indicator as Peter says, with fine adjustment by eye/trial&error as you suggest, Theresa. However, I've just bought a basic feeler gauge for £2 on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361470448839 - which should help. (My old one, used for years on engine parts, seems to have disappeared.) It should allow measurements between 0.05 and 5.95mm in 0.05 increments - provided it's clean and the blades aren't bent or distorted, you can combine two or more blades to get the exact thickness you need.
    Alan
    I've got the cheappie rolling mill and my feeler gauge is invaluable.
    Jules

I have searched the instructions Peter and can find no info on how to work the gauge.
    Is there a leaflet or something to show me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Yes? Too many variables to depend on it being an absolute gauge (if I dial in 0.75mm, it might not get all the way there - depends on initial thickness amongst other things), but it is a useful relative indicator.
    Can't see on the D4 without dismantling, but I'd assume from your photo it was a keyed shaft, possibly a Woodruff key. Which may not be there...

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    I have searched the instructions Peter and can find no info on how to work the gauge.
    Is there a leaflet or something to show me?
    If you're happy to take the handle off, you should be able to lift the gauge dial off - there looks to be a slot machined on the main shaft that (assuming my guess is correct) should have a key that slots into the gauge dial. If you give Durston a call they might be able to recommend something; I'm working from a guess from your photo.

Thanks - I'll have a go!