Thread: Obsessions

Default Obsessions

Obsessions

I’ve had a life-long one with Faberge Eggs. It stemmed from my mother who was not a big jewellery wearer at all but for some reason used to regale these stories about the Russian Tsars, Russian Revolution and the lost eggs to me as a child. I’ve tried and tried to pick a favourite but it’s impossible! Strange but the fascination has never left me and call me sad but if there is ever an opportunity in a lesson with 7 year olds about the properties of stones, rock or something spilled from a volcano I will bring up on the whiteboard to show what can be made from something found formed over many years in the ground in the shape of a beautiful Faberge Egg! They are in awe and ask for more pictures.

Children are sponges soaking up information you give with enthusiasm and pleasure. One very quiet little girl told me she had a Faberge Egg her mother had brought her back from trip somewhere abroad. She proudly plonked it on my desk the day after a discussion about them. The made in China stamp on the bottom didn’t matter she thought it was beautiful and so did I!

Lynn perhaps you would like to see some of my Eggs. I have made quite a few throughout my career.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easter egg sheet B low res.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	8862

James

Ooooh James, theyre all really scrummy, I shall go to bed tonight dreaming of the dragonfly with bullrushes one.

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Ooooh James, theyre all really scrummy, I shall go to bed tonight dreaming of the dragonfly with bullrushes one.
    That was my first egg Joella. I made that one back in 1977, the surprise inside was lily pads on a golden pond and when one pad was depressed another pad popped open with a watch inside.

Name:	001e  Dragonfly egg page.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	8863

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 14-04-2016 at 08:21 PM.

So enchanting James, how wonderful. There is a real sense of the magical about them. Is it common for adults to feel like a small child when they see one? I think its to do with feeling awe struck, and a sense of the magical.

I always enjoyed making eggs, they are special and can be magical as you say. This was the last large egg I made. 18ct gold hard fired enamel and set with 38 carats of diamonds, the ball clock inside was the size of a golf ball.

Name:	053 x Flax Egg sheet.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	8864

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Lynn perhaps you would like to see some of my Eggs. I have made quite a few throughout my career.

Name:	Easter egg sheet B low res.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	8862

James

Thank you James. Magical is definitely the word for them, I could look at them for hours the dragonfly one is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Really love the dragonfly especially James!
    As you like dragonflies Sarah, you may like this paperweight I made,

Name:	015a Dragonfly on tourmaline signed.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	8868 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015d Dragonfly on tourmaline signed.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	8869

James