Thread: Oxidising silver

Default Oxidising silver

Hey, I have a query regarding using micro crystalline wax on oxidised silver. I bought this wax as it was recommended to be used on oxidised silver, however when I used it on a piece with blues/purples, it rubbed the great colours off. Can you put anything on coloured silver without it removing the colours? Am a bit miffed as the wax isn't cheap! Many thanks

Hi you're right Mandie. Renaissance wax gives a brighter finish to fully patinated metal: I call it a wet look. But used on the transition colours before you achieve black, it simply causes them to vanish.
    The same happens with subtle colours when you torch copper.
    This is an optical effect and is mostly restored by removing the wax. Try hot soda crystals for instance, or simply heat, pickle and start again. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis

I have found that if you leave the patina a day, then apply the smallest amount of wax possible extremely gently, you minimise the loss of colour. Not entirely, but a little. Left alone (wax free) the colours do mute over time. I've found this happens less on highly polished surfaces though.