Thread: Advice please, before I try this....

Default Advice please, before I try this....

Hi All,

I've been lurking here a while viewing your amazing work whilst muddling my way through my own designs but I'd like some advice please.
    I'm working on a design which uses silver, rose quartz, Fimo and enamel. I have previously used the Efcolor enamel powders with base metal and with silver and also with Fimo but I just want to check that if I put Rose quartz in the oven at 150 degrees that it won't shatter and explode! I know it seems like a daft question but I can't really afford to replace my cooker and if it is a stupid thing to do I'd rather hear it from you! Also, is there any chance that the quartz will lose it's colour at this temperature?

Ceri

With a question like this, you can but try it. We all have to do experiments before embarking on a new project.

You just need two rose quartz beads. keep one for comparison, and heat the other in an empty baked bean tin or similar, putting it in the oven from cold, so that it heats slowly. Once baked, let it air cool.

150°C is not very hot and your oven will not be harmed even if the bead were to explode, which is unlikely. Dennis.

Ah, the old "put it in a container to prevent extreme damage" move. Thanks Dennis, I'll give it a go.

Ceri

Depending on the particular stone it may change colour, normally at much greater temperature 550c as said above do a test piece different examples with react differently