Thread: Striped banding pattern (possibly copper?) on sterling sheet?

Default Striped banding pattern (possibly copper?) on sterling sheet?

Hi all, I've just noticed what looks like copper banding on some sterling sheet I've received (not from Cooksons). It looks as if maybe the copper and silver did not mix properly and then once the stock was rolled it gave the sheet a banded pattern. Attached is a quick picture with my phone.

I've had this material for around 3 months and only noticed it now so I'm not sure if some of the material started to oxidize and therefore show up more.

I haven't touched base with the company yet as they're customer service lines are closed.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm concerned that if it is indeed copper its going to impact wearability (ie finger turning green etc).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badning.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	8852
    - Emily

It may clean off fine but I think I would check with Cooksons first.

It is most likely to be uneven tarnishing, due to the way it was stored, Emily.

Heating and pickling will remove it, or less drastically putting in a silver dip solution for about 30 seconds.

You can avoid it by keeping it in a closed bag with an anti- tarnish tab, or strip, easily available on line. Dennis.

Hm, I'm not sure that it's tarnishing as all my silver is together and only a few sheets are exhibiting the stripes. I'll give them a soak in pickle and see if that makes a difference. Could be that those particular sheets were sitting at the manufacturers longer than the others in the same order. Thanks all.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    - Emily