Thread: Uneven cabochon setting advice

Default Uneven cabochon setting advice

Hi - this follows on from my 18ct bezel setting question - the opal I have has a slightly domed back so doesn't sit flat on the silver it's going to be soldered to - I've attached an image.
    Any advice on the best way to overcome this?

many thanks,
    Birgitte

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2939.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	8850

Just put a wire around the inside edge. It does not have to be soldered . Dennis.

Thanks Dennis - I assume silver wire would be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Birgitte View Post
    Thanks Dennis - I assume silver wire would be okay?
    That's an ethical question, really, because no one will know unless the stone is taken out or falls out in the future. But as it will increase the apparent weight of gold used, it is also between you and your conscience. Gold wire for this would be quite inexpensive.

I have to say, that I was surprised many years ago, when I took a large stone out of a silver ring made by a famous international jeweller, that the padding used to raise the stone was newsprint.

As for your question to Lydia, use the highest melting solder you are comfortable with, for both soldering operations to the bezel, to give you freedom to use an easier solder later. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-04-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's an ethical question, really, because no one will know unless the stone is taken out or falls out in the future. But as it will increase the apparent weight of gold used, it is also between you and your conscience. Gold wire for this would be quite inexpensive.

I have to say, that I was surprised many years ago, when I took a large stone out of a silver ring made by a famous international jeweller, that the padding used to raise the stone was newsprint.

As for your question to Lydia, use the highest melting solder you are comfortable with, for both soldering operations to the bezel, to give you freedom to use an easier solder later. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,
    Well this is a commission for a friend so I shall ask her whether she has a preference on wire - or indeed for newsprint

The ring shank is going to be open so I was planning to solder the gold bezel with 18ct easy gold solder and then use easy silver solder to solder the bezel to the ring - does that sound reasonable?
    Birgitte

Well, Birgitte, I always think, Friend or not, that it's a a shame to do less than your best. Using silver solder will detract from the value and its hall marking potential.
    If you want to save money, buy 10 or 15mm of hard, or medium 18ct solder wire for the bezel. it will hardly break the bank.

I expect you know that buying gold solder as wire is the least painful way. Dennis.

Ah - someone else said to me to use silver solder to solder the bezel to the silver ring - what would series of solders would you use?

I have bought it as wire, as you say, much easier!

Birgitte

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well, Birgitte, I always think, Friend or not, that it's a a shame to do less than your best. Using silver solder will detract from the value and its hall marking potential.
    If you want to save money, buy 10 or 15mm of hard, or medium 18ct solder wire for the bezel. it will hardly break the bank.

I expect you know that buying gold solder as wire is the least painful way. Dennis.

Sorry Birgitte, I lost track of the story there.

If the shank and base are silver, yes connect the ends of the bezel strip with gold solder and then solder it onto the base with silver solder, placed on the inside so that it cannot spoil the gold that shows.
    Also, Obviously silver wire to support the stone will be OK.

I apologise for mixing you up . Dennis.