Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler has ruined my rings!

Default Tumbler has ruined my rings!

HELP!

I've always used national geographic rock tumbler with round steel shot to polish my jewellery (cheap and effective) but as I'm now making larger pieces like bangles, I thought I'd invest in a barrel type tumbler as I can't get the bangels into the rock tumbler as the opening is too small.

So I bought one of these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-6022 and it's just gone and ruined all my rings. What have I done wrong?

Here's a shot of two rings - one with an oxidised finish (polished back to just leave the patina in the sunken areas) and the other that's just come out of the tumbler - I put it in to remove tarnish and shine it up. It had a smooth surface when it went into the tumbler and now the surface is matted and pitted and covered in vaseline and so not very shiny at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milomade-rings.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	8977

I followed the instructions and put vaseline on the seal etc to seal the water in, buit looks like this has got all over the jewellery and affected the polishing process. The rubber barrel has two metal ridges within it and I think these are causing the scratches and pits in the silver surface. I've used the same shot in my rock tumbler with my rings and they always come out polished and shiny.

It must be the metal ridges within the barrel causing the scratching - I'm so annoyed as I'm now going to have to get the micromesh out and do 9 grades of micromeshing on 14 rings to get them back to the beautifully smooth state they were in before going into this tumbler.

I'm not sure I can return this item now either that I've used it, but I'm really not happy with the results and would really like a refund.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?
    Or shall I just get on the phone to CooksonGold and request a refund.

E
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

It does sound odd that there are metal fins in the tumbler. Usually the barrels are rubber. Those particular type of barrels are very similar to the first tumbler I ever had which was rubbish and leaked everywhere. Yours is expensive though so shouldn't leak. I've never heard of using vaseline.

As said above I can't imagine a tumbler with metal ridges being much use for anything, plus all the tumblers I have ever used do not require vaseline or any sealing agent only mechanical seal

These are the metal ridges inside the barrel - there are two opposite each other.

Name:	ridges.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	8978

the instructions say 'it is advisable to lightly smear vaseline over the surfaces to reduce the likelihood of leakage' and I preume they mean around the seal.
    Website | Instagram

Are you sure they are metal, mine are plastic, fairly common in ball mills, they cause the media to drop rather than roll, and accelerate the action

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

They're definitely metal with very pointy corners.
    Website | Instagram

Questioning whether they've sent me the right machine - this is the instructions manual that came with it.

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	8979

Shouldn't I get instructions for a Gold Pro Barrelling Machine seeing as that's what I ordered.

I've been in touch with Cookson Gold about it and they've asked for photo's so I've sent these and will probably hear back tomorrow.

In themeantime I better get re-polishing these rings that are all marked. Ho hum...
    Website | Instagram

I think that's pretty crap - and certainly not fit for purpose. I'd definitely be returning it for a refund.

Then get a proper tumbler - with a nice rubber barrel and no fins. I'd happily recommend the Lortone 3A - http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/l...l-tumbler.html - mine's been going strong for years and years despite almost constant use.

I can second George's advice, my Lortone has been running for years. Just needs a bit of WD40 now and then to get it spinning fast again!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Cost and size are factors in my purchase - tiny studio, tiny budget - thought this would do the trick. Definitely think they've sent me the wrong thing. Will hear back from them tomorrow.
    Website | Instagram